We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach shacks

wales uk
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
beach shacks

do any of them have security to stop beach sellers approaching you

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach shacks

Usually the lads that work at the shacks will stop some of them but then again some of the shack lads do take a "cut" of any takings off some of them as well.

The only shack I've seen security at is the Big Banana. There are probably more but this is the only one I've seen. There is a bloke called "Uncle" who chases them all away from the sun beds........it's really funny as he's quite old and his eyesight is not brilliant so the little kids hide behind the sunbeds where they cannot be spotted!! Great entertainment for a few minutes!!

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach shacks

phoebe...security really isn't an issue. I don't think you need security guards. The beach sellers can be a tiny bit annoying, However, just a smile, tell them you have been many times before and you have more "tat" than they have! They usually just smile and are on their way.Some may stop and chat for a while,if you are freindly (they may even try 1 final sale at the end of their chat!), but they are never threatening or vicious! We have always found them to be very nice.

Susie.x

wales uk
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach shacks

thanks sound like the same ones in Kenya once you told them no they were okay

Staffs
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach shacks

I believe that a few years ago that any shack that charged for sunbeds employed security to keep the sellers away and that was there sales pitch.

This year the bed boys are instructed to allow the sellers, and charge them 10% of any sales that they make.I know they can be a pain at times but who would have their job, walking the hot beach all day trying to earn a living ingnored by most, treated very rudely by some. a 100Rps a day to the police and 10% of there sales now going to the shacks. can,t be easy . some work hard and dont have the luxury of a benifits system to scrounge of like some of the idle in this country.

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach shacks

There is a security guard paid for by some of the shacks near Whispering Palms, he was there last year as well, but most of the sellers know to keep away from that end. It has made a difference over the last couple of years, if you go to Arambol, where they keep coming up to your sunbed, you realise how much difference it has made.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,650 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach shacks

Lillian a very familiar figure selling her "tat" is lovely she sits with us for hours and we treat her like one of our own. Does a fab job on the wife's nails for a very reasonable cost too. She pretty fluent in around 7 languages all learned on the beach, her husband Simon sells Tee and polo shirts which I must say for the cost are great quality and I always bring back a load for the summer over here leaving my British bought ones with him for his dad who like me is rather large. They both work the tourist season on Candolim beach before returning to their permanent home down South (sorry can't remember their village name). This year she had our beach towels off us when we left to use on their 2 young sons after bathing them. She's invited us over to their rented seasonal house for a meal and I'm sure we''ll get there next trip. They are both based at the "SEA N SAND" shack owned by brothers Anil and Babu one of the oldest and most established beach shacks there selling gorgeous food. Nothing flash and brash about this place, Western style toilets and shower. It's pretty novel waiting for the shower water to "cool down" before use l.o.l. They only let limited sellers near their customers which are no bother at all, very peacefull and relaxing there !!!!!!

Edited: 27 February 2011, 14:47
england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach shacks

hi pho most of shacks have seller working for them like the mass laydys ..and the boys servind food / not all some do get paye/ if there not selling, ,,,thay help serve the food take orders ect......thay dont get payed by the shack onwners, but can sell to you,,,prity safe,,,and dont have to pay the so called poice,, the day rate for selling on the beach,,,

leeds west...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: beach shacks

If you go to Bonos you will not be hassled. They also have fabulous tiolets and a shower. They are lovely people and really look after you.

london
Level Contributor
567 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach shacks

i couldn`t agree more with jakleeds,we tried Bono`s for the first time this year and then wouldnt use anywhere else,the spotless,gleaming loo`s were a real plus

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beach shacks

Hi Mondeo1, We use Sea and Sand shack and know Lilian very well. Great girl to have a chat with. Must have a good collection of towels now as she begged ours and my friends for the kids too...lol Anil is also a very good Jeweler and made my wife a ring both this year and last. Can't fault this shack , meet up with the same crowed every year,We were there From Jan28th to Feb 18th. Were you there at that time?

Get answers to your questions about Candolim