We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newton's Supermarket

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Newton's Supermarket

I thought I should mention the new Supermarket in Candolim, Newtons.

I realise that it might be tempting to see it as a great place to stock up on a lot of things, and naturally thinking that, like the UK, they will be better value than small shops, but a word of warning... this shop is VERY expensive and their customer service leaves a great deal to be desired.

The shop is targeting tourists, and prices on everything are higher than the locals' shops.

British newspapers are at least 2 days old (with a stack on even older ones) and cost up to 50 rupees more than the Hira store, who get the previous day's papers at 4.30pm each day (and soon plan to get them the morning after printing). Hira is the only shop in town which gets the previous day's papers.

In addition, Newtons demand that you leave your bags with a guard outside the shop, clearly stating that they don't strust anyone (though I can't imagine shoplifting is a serious problem amongst tourists).... AND they have a sign up saying that you should remove valuables from your bag before handing it over (so also saying the guard can't be trusted with your stuff). When I went in, I had to walk round with an armful of valuables!

I was really angry that they expected my business and then made such demands... as though they were doing ME a favour.

You can get all the things you need at the small shops, at lower prices and without being treated like a criminal.

manchester
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Newton's Supermarket

thanks for the info imp, its always handy to know. all we really buy in the shops are bottled water and bits and bats so will use the little shops

wirral england
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newton's Supermarket

i agree, newton's looks very impressive but is mega expensive, i to would advise using the small shops, they cant do enough to help you

bangalore
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newton's Supermarket

What you say is 100% true. I'm from India, and you can imagine that it only gets more expensive for us!

Pros:

- great range of products, will appeal to western tourists

- lot of fresh imported products - not available elsewhere (under one roof)

- good range of products specially ones needed by tourists - good display

- staff is okay

Cons:

- I did not see any locals shopping at Newtons (which says a lot).

- prices are generally on the higher side for most products, or they stock only the expensive and upmarket products.

- lack of range of fresh fruits & vegetables

- they have fraudulent tie-up with royal goan club resort - the marketing droids try to sell un-necessary timeshare/ RCI/ resort products. this happens on premises of Newtons (however, they give a voucher at newtons on refusal to buy the timeshare product). very distasteful tactics employed though. BEWARE!

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newton's Supermarket

Totally agree with you Newtons is very expensive, and they alter the prices. Change is given in sweets imagine how many extra rupees they make a day. I refuse to take sweets and they mark my receipt saying they owe 3 rups etc. There are more staff wondering around the store watching you than serving. Could you imagine a Tesco queue in there! The Hira shop is cheaper and excellent service.

They will catch the holiday makers but not the long termers.

bangalore
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newton's Supermarket

@ ParkerR ...spot on!

its infuriating that a store of that size returns change in the form of toffee, which is fraud. wonder how many boxes of lousy sweets do they sell every day!

and yeah, its always a first timer. i went there a couple of times, i was impressed by the size of the store , after a couple of visits, i ignored it for other smaller places where the owners dint mind me spending some time looking at what i really wanted to buy, rather than some idiot breathing down my shoulder, as if i were some kind of petty thief!

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newton's Supermarket

My wife asked them could she save the sweets and pay for groceries with them as we are there 6 months! the answer of course was no - so we don't buy there unless really desperate. They will get the holiday makers, but as you say longterms and locals do not bother with them. Wonder how they will do in the Monsoon season.

jersey c.i.
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newton's Supermarket

Hi everyone

where is Hira Store please? i have been to newtons the last time i was there and had reservations about leaving my bag with the security guard and like someone else mentioned had to carry my valuables around with me whilst trying to shop the only thing i really went in for was the himalayan stuff and i think they are government priced so they can't charge more,

thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newton's Supermarket

I saved the sweets and gave them back to them when there was odd rupees on the bill. They were not overly keen I have to admit, but they took them.

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newton's Supermarket

Good for you giving the sweets back - they would not take ours.

Hira shop is between Mango Grove and Elephant shop.

Excellent service.

wrexham,wales
Level Contributor
460 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newton's Supermarket

LOL.. so made me smile - thinking of you handing the sweets back over!

Well done you....

kind regards Ali

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations