We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like at Christmas?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What's it like at Christmas?

My usual time for Candolim is November-December, and I've always loved going just before Christmas, getting some hot sunshine, a lovely tan and lots of presents before going back for the party season. It's usually pretty quiet at this time of year and the beach is nice & clear.

I have to admit to being slightly apprehensive about actually being there for Christmas itself. Is it going to be a huge shock for me with hoards of people everywhere? Will the beach, shacks and restaurants be packed and hard to find beds/tables? Are there going to be hundreds of kids screaming about the place?

Help!

Viceroy's Arch
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Cabo Palace
Points of Interest & Landmarks
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

We were there - well, in south Goa - last Christmas and there were a lot of people around and there were more children around than I can comfortably tolerate (with apologies to anyone with children - I'm sure they're all lovely, but I don't have any and am therefore not used to their noisy ways). However, we didn't have any problems getting fed in beach shacks or restaurants, although we did have to book in one or two of the posher ones.

By choice I'd go just before Christmas as well, but sometimes it's just not possible. This time we can't go until the end of January. Actually, let's not kid ourselves - by choice I'd go at the beginning of November and not come home until the end of February, but I have to earn a living!!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

You shouldn't have any problems getting sunbeds but I would recommend booking restaurants in the evening.

Are you going to be there for New Year? That's when it really gets mad busy with all the Indian tourists as well as the non Indians. The roads are full of huge 4x4s and traffic is a nightmare. New Year's Eve is best spent within walking distance of your accommodation as it will be hard to get a taxi (believe it or not) they are fussy about what fares they take as they don't want to get stuck in traffic.

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

I agree with you KatieP - We went 6 years ago for Christmas and New Year and stayed in the Carma Lobo (nightmare but that's another story). Christmas was a breeze compared to New Year, which was very manic. Don't remember it being busy with young children, at the time it was mainly older kids in their early teens. I did enjoy it, but was glad we had an extra week in January just to chill and relax after all the hustle and bustle and parties. We now prefer to go late Nov/early Dec and then again in March, we can do both trips for more a less the same price as Christmas/New Year.

DebyC

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

As it happens, we are coming back on dec 30th, so won't have the problem of New Year (we both hate the fuss of new year anyway, so not bothered about this). I have a well-earned reputation of hating kids.... of any age! (I only just tolerate my partner's teenagers because I have no choice!!), and I like to see Candolim as an escape from them and everyone else's. Our favoured time is during school term (though 3 years ago there was a dreadful and enormous family who had taken their young teenagers out of school and terrorised our section of beach).

One advantage is that our first week is the last week of term. Though this may mean a few kids pulled out of their last week in school to go on holiday, it will hopefully be more kid-free than Christmas week.

I suppose I'm hoping that people with kids are more likely to head for Calangute rather than Candolim, as the latter has a reputation for being a laid-back couples/older people's destination (not that I agree with the latter, but I don't complain as it keeps the wild revellers away).

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

I don't know how many Russian families you get in north Goa, but there were a fair few in the south last year over Christmas and the kids weren't exactly top of the popularity tree (I'd obviously blanked them from my memory, but my other half has reminded me about them). We never go on holiday during school holidays if we can possibly avoid it either!

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

When I went a couple of years ago both for chrismas and new year it was for the first time and we loved every minute of it. We stayed in Candolim and we had no problem with the children as there just wasn't that many. New years eve everybody heads fo the beach, At midnight the fireworks are fantastic but health and safety is non existant so be very careful. We walked back to the hotel and they were letting them off along the main road.

p.s. my husband does not like kids either and he did not have any problems with them.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

I do feel a bit more reassured now, thanks.

8. Re: What's it like at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations