We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian rupee

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Indian rupee

Anyone got any more ideas what to do with 500 rupee note, have got 6500 but not going back until Feb 2017!

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Indian rupee

After a while check with the money exchangers over there in your country, or Indian banks.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: Indian rupee

Articles in the Herald and TOI say that you should be able to change in certain banks up until March so you will get your money back x

Edited: 15 November 2016, 06:44
Ayrshire, United...
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Indian rupee

My friend in Candolim says banks will only exchange if you have ATM receipt or receipt showing transaction from money exchange.

There is literally no money and we go on Friday

Can exchange sterling in banks but there are no notes under 2000 and no one has change

The few places that will exchange are giving you 45 to 63 rupees to the £ when rate is 83

Edited: 15 November 2016, 13:23
Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Indian rupee

The only bank you will be able to change money after December 30th is the RBI.The only office in Goa is in Panjim then you will need proof of purchase otherwise forget it...

John

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
5. Re: Indian rupee

"Can exchange sterling in banks but there are no notes under 2000 and no one has change."

Where exactly? We're stuck with no legal tender in Candolim at the moment. Even a 2000 note would give us cash to get back to the airport when the time comes....,

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Indian rupee

I have been reading that the banks will not change sterling. Only old note for new. Does anyone know a bank that will change sterling then?

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Indian rupee

Hi june2306

I am here at the moment in the middle of this BL***y mess.

My advice to ANYONE is DO NOT VISIT INDIA AT THIS TIME . Wait until the foreign exchange mechanism

is running again and people are not having to queue daily to get money to live .

When will that be WeeeeeeL the Prime Minister made a reference to 50 days but that would be 50 Indian days which could be absolutely anytime . You have to wait untill its come to pass. Never forget Indian standards are not International ones .

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Indian rupee

We have no choice Bruay. Fly out Sunday on TC flight only and DIY. It's either come and possibly struggle or lose at lot of money as everything we have paid is non refundable or transferable. There is one consolation tho. At least the sun is shining lol.

I do realuse how bad things are but not prepared to lose all the money paid out so far.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Indian rupee

June just need the foreign office notice saying don't travel to India, then you may be able to transfer or claim on holiday insurance or something! It is pretty bad here and I,m trying to look at the sun and be positive....we are here until March but may need to re think if we can't change our sterling!

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Indian rupee

Rovingoldie don't think they will do that this side of Sunday lol. I do feel for people over there without cards etc. At least we know what to expect but still no consolation.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations