We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarytin

essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Clarytin

Before I went to Goa last year I read somewhere to take Clarytin (the hay fever tablet) whilst you are there. I took it last year a few days before I went and whilst I was there and didn't get any bites from anything!!

london uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Clarytin

hi

clarytin if i think is what you are talking about an antihistamine.ie: its a tablet that help alleviate the bodys response to allergic reactions you may have to a bite - ie: itching,redness,swelling..........i have never heard of taking anti histamine tablets as a prophylactic( ie: will stop you getting bitten/before you get bitten) personally i think this advice is rubbish, if taking a antihistamine would stop you getting bitten i dont think medical agencies would advise people to take anti malarials which are stronger drugs they would be telling you to take antihistamines such as clarytin instead. clarytin is execellent for hayfever & may help people once they have bites if they have a reaction to them ie : bites are very big/red or swollen but personally i wouldnt recommend it as a drug to take to prevent bites, you are much better to use deet mosquito sprays & try & keep limbs covered esp at sunrise/sunset/night.

i think anone who has taken clarytin & not been bitten is lucky..im sure its just coincidence & not to be relied on. mossies seem to LOVE attacking some people & not others.i never get bitten but they feast if given a chance on my husband....i always say its cos i had malaria as a child growing up in kenya...........sounds better than having to admit the mossies think my blood tastes yuk!!!!!!!

all drugs have interactions and stuff like claryton is not really a good idea if taking alcohol at the same time so personally i wouldnt recommend it until you do have a problem with the bites

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: Clarytin

i second that I think this advice is rubbish and quite possible dangerous in that it can lull people into a false sense of security. Far better to use 50%DEET mossie repellant and know that it is effective.

cheers

Lyn x

3. Re: Clarytin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 10:50
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations