We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti-Malarials

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anti-Malarials

Hi. Im going to be in Goa for 2 weeks at the end of Nov and was after some advice re anti-malarials. I have been advised by the school of tropical medicine & on various sites on the internet that India is chloroquine resistant and not to take chloroquine based AMs in India. Most people on this forum have indicated that paludrine/avloclor (which is chloroquine) are the AMs that they take. Have they been misinformed or me? Ive been left confused by the whole thing. Also can someone tell me whether Goa is a high risk area for malaria when in the dry season

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti-Malarials

Hi copy and paste this into your browser

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/

It will tell you all you need to know and is more reliable than a bunch of tourists like me

Jeff

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti-Malarials

Hi - why not speak to your Practice Nurse? We were told by our Practice Nurse that chloroquine/proguanil (Paludrine/Avlorclor) were the recommended ones for Goa. We took them and had no problems. Best to get any medical information you need from the medics who should know best! Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti-Malarials

India is pretty much chloroquine resistant but you need to take both, these are 2 separate medications although they are boxed together, only one is chloroquine. You take 2 a day of one course and 2 a week of the other. After Christmas you are not likely to get malaria but you will be going quite soon after the rainy season. Just get the one box from Boots to share and buy the rest when you get out there, they are much cheaper. I would also recommend you take them with a meal.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Anti-Malarials

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 03:48
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations