We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets in Goa?

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Markets in Goa?

Hi all.

What kind of items are sold in the markets in Goa? Also, which markets are best?

Do any sell any leather hides or snake skins etc?

Has anyone been to any other place in the world where they have seen exotic hides for sale?

Many thanks.

italy
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets in Goa?

hi

well leather hides are probably not sold in Goa. I myself have not seen them.but you can buy a lot of jewellery here the stones are good and real cheap.Goa is also a good place to buy carpets , shawls and bikinis. well goa is full of fun and seafood. enjoy

london uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets in Goa?

hi

depends where you are in goa as far as markets go.north goa anjuna is definately worth a visit, also ingos saturday night market if it is still going, im not sure where it is now as it was being moved last i heard. both places sell loads of stuff like jewellery,clothes,trinkets, cashmere scarves, spices,cigarettes, wood carvings,boxes, textiles oh just about anything you could think of but ive not seen hides of any sort.are you aware cows are sacred to the hindus & although goa is mainly catholic there is a large hindu population too so i doubt if you'd find a dead cows skin( lots of live cows wandering around!!!!!!!!) as for snake skins??? surely you shouldnt be taking stuff like that into the uk & a lot of snakes are probably protected species so personally i wouldnt even go there!!!!!! what would you want a snake skin for???

sorry dont mean to sound rude just curious.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets in Goa?

Our favourite markets for an authentic experience (not just for tourists) are Mapusa and Margao

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets in Goa?

Our favourite markets for an authentic experience (not just for tourists) are Mapusa and Margao

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets in Goa?

hi

i agree with goanjock,the spices in mapusa market are great,

it's a bit of a scrum mind,but you'll be ok.

tom

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets in Goa?

Thanks for your advice everyone. Looks like I'll be heading to Goa in Jan. Can't decide whether to go all out and stay in the Leela or stay in the Marinha Dourada and have a bit more money in my pocket while i'm there.

In answer to your question Milly, I buy a lot of snakeskin for use in clothing. Its quite expensive to have shipped over to the uk so i thought i could save money by buying while on holiday.

Thanks!

leeds uk
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Markets in Goa?

Hi there,

no one seems to have said , there are 2 touristy saturday night markets one is near marinha dourada and has food and live entertainment, they sell the same tack as anjuna but it's good fun..

mapsa can be visited anyday and is good traditional indian market. somedays they even have secondhand stalls.

try the pub opposite market you can sit upstairs and watch the market proceedings its a great place to rest for food and drink very cheap as well

ian

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Markets in Goa?

Mapusa's main market is on a Friday morning and I second the comments on the pub a great place to sit with a cold beer top up the suntan lotion and watch the great street scene down below

surrey
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Markets in Goa?

Where about is the pub. I have only been to Mapusa market once. and went through the big bus terminal to get in there. We will be more confident this time.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,599 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markets in Goa?

If you are standing facing the main frontage of the market it is on the street running down the left-hand side of the market, if that makes sense its nothing fancy but a great vantage point when you look out its as if you are watching TV . I will watch some video footage and see if I can give you a couple of landmarks and better directions.

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations