We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candolim to Baga

Jersey - Channel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Candolim to Baga

is it far to walk from Candolim to Baga? We'll probably have mopeds but was wondering if it's advisable to use them at night, or just walk or get a taxi?

Also what are the local Police like in Goa?, I've been to other parts of India and have found they are partial to "tips"!

thanks - Dave

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Baga
Baga
North Goa District, India
Goa
Goa
India
Oldham
Level Contributor
482 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Candolim to Baga

Leave the bikes at home during the dark hours, get a taxi, cost you about 60- 70 pence, far less hassle.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candolim to Baga

You can walk along the beach from Candolim to Baga, it's a nice walk during the day but I wouldn't fancy it on a night. As Feelthevibe says it's cheap enough to get a taxi. I had my bag stolen last year and didn't find the police very helpful though to be fair there wasn't much they could do. They tried to persuade me to say I'd lost it rather than had it stolen. I didn't offer then a 'tip' though - it might have helped!

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Baga
Baga
North Goa District, India
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candolim to Baga

totally agree, bikes at night with tourists on are a risk not worth taking. Goan police are no different to any other part of India in fact Ive been told there is a big waiting list to transfer to Goa because of the ability to earn more through tourism (beach shack owners, masseurs, hawkers etc etc all of whom are expected to pay a bribe)

Incidentally I was told last year that the rourists have to have the correct insurance not the bikes, so check that out before you go

good luck

Lyn

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candolim to Baga

go by tuk tuk

Jersey - Channel...
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candolim to Baga

Cheers everyone for the advice, the cost of 2 mars bars for a taxi VERSUS skin loss and insurance problems. Hmmm!

4 weeks to go, can't wait.

Oldham
Level Contributor
482 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candolim to Baga

Goanluv, I heard from a good source that the Police have to pay for/towards their own uniforms and training and the richer ones will grease a few palms to get a posting to Goa, wouldn`t suprise me one bit.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candolim to Baga

Feel the vibe, I suspect thats how their superiors get their buckshea!

dont you?

Lyn x

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Candolim to Baga

hi

i have'nt paid a bribe to police in goa yet,but i have seen

them take their"perks" off stallholders,in the markets in

old goa,at the feast of st francis xcaviar,lots of unlicenced

sellers pay their rupees to the police and carry on selling,

in bandolim airport,i have seen police take the tips off the

toilet attendants,right out in the open.

i was sat in a cafe in mapusa one time,a police sergeant

came in and sat by us,i offered him a beer,a ciggie but he

refused both,so maybe it's just some,i don't know!!!!

tom

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candolim to Baga

best thing is to see how the traffic is in goa, then you will decide of your own accord not ride bikes at night!! (even in the daytime it's not for the fainthearted).

bob.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Candolim to Baga

8 years ago whilst returning from an evening meal down a quiet street a drunken policeman jumped out at us from the bushes baton raised and demanded beer money, hubby shoved him and we ran.

On reflection though it could have turned nasty . We made a point of going to see the restaurant owner in the daylight and he saw to it that it didn't re-occur

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations