We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

Darwen
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria tablets

Hi there

We are going to Calungute tomorrow can't wait, only problem is I have bought malaria tablets from chemists and they are making me feel sick and stomach cramps. I've heard that you can buy one tablet from the chemist in Goa and this will do the trick.

Is this true - please help as I feel terrible today.

Thanks, Mojolene.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
spain
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets

don't know about the tablet in goa but the ones you have i think you'll find once you've done the week's course prior to leaving you only have to take 2 a week, say 1 fri and 1 mon you'll find that amount won't give you any problems. hope this helps.

Lower Darwen
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets

Hi, Just returned from our 11th trip to Goa. Had the same problems with malaria tablets on our first visit and advised by a local doctor to stop taking them and never taken them since. You will find that most other regular visitors do not take them either as Goa is a very low risk area. If you intend to travel inland or other parts of India, it is a completely different matter. Use plenty of inspect repellent on an evening, otherwise you will more than likely be bitten by the little sand flies and not a mozzie. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Lower Darwen
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets

Hi, Just returned from our 11th trip to Goa. Had the same problems with malaria tablets on our first visit and advised by a local doctor to stop taking them and never taken them since. You will find that most other regular visitors do not take them either as Goa is a very low risk area. If you intend to travel inland or other parts of India, it is a completely different matter. Use plenty of inspect repellent on an evening, otherwise you will more than likely be bitten by the little sand flies and not a mozzie. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets

Have been going for last 10 years and agree with the previous post As long as you take care not to get bitten and are aware of the problems that may (very small chance of being unlucky) arise don't bother

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets

Hi Hope that you're feeling better.

I go to Goa in 2 days and have been taking the tablets too.

They do affect people in different ways and thankfully I've been fine. A little sickness is bad but no were as bad as getting Malaria. I would try and get through it I know its bad but it should improve. If not reading other reports with repilent you sould be fine .

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Preston
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets

smother yourself with odomos buy it in Goa 60 ruppees only a tube, make sure you put it on from 5pm when the mossies arrive. put a plug in insect repelent in your room which you buy there, put your fan on in the room, you will have no problems, take Odomos in your hand bag at night just in case. after 18 times to Goa neve rbeen bitten. have a good holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Bolton, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets

we tried taking them the first time and had same symtoms. since then no-one in our parties have ever taken them. we just use a good insect repellant (odomos from any shop is their local brand and very good) and a repellant in the room (think it's called good knight - plug in) for around 65 rupees. this lasts around 3 weeks in constant use.

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations