We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guest houses beware

manchester
4 posts
guest houses beware

We have been going to Calangute area of goa since 1999 and stayed in various accomodations. We have just returned after 3 wonderful weeks but must warn potential guest house users to take your own locks and security. We stayed at LA MANNA TIVAVI VADDO,CALANGUTE & somebody with key access took £200 from our safe.ON reporting the matter to police, much to guest houses dismay, a window & door never been opened had been mysteriously opened, therefore police only pursued bribe from guest house owner for not being registered & from us for false insurance report saying we'd lost bag on beach.Because we were leaving in 2 days we stayed put but ensured everying was with us after this except on last night when nipped out for meal before going to airprt leaving last £20 in tracksuit trousers in case but on getting to airport this had gone as well.

There are many wonderful guest houses and the other people rallied around us visibly upset so don't be put off just be careful and avoid LA MANNA.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: guest houses beware

trixie sorry to hear of your experience but have heard of similar before and the police rely on you paying up or not getting your report, may have been an idea to note policemans details and report it to Indian embassy upon your returnbecause they are trying their utmost to stamp this kindof thing out. We have also spoken to a Dutch couple who stayed at a guest house in Baga and lost all their possessions including passports - the thieves got in by removing the clay tiles from the roof - a problem the landlord was aware of - and without paying the police could not have made a claim and also could not have got their passports replaced!! so travellers beware Goa is a wonderful place but our wealth makes some people want a share.- by hook or by crook

2. Re: guest houses beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2007, 03:31
Sheffield
Level Contributor
619 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: guest houses beware

Good luck to you both.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
619 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: guest houses beware

Sad to see a reply to Trixie's post was removed.

As it was clear the new owners of the guest house in question were keen to remedy the previous owners lapses in security.

I agree there was an element of self promotion though that could have been done un-whittingly, and in context should be over-looked.

They did have the right to respond.

The inclusion of their contact numbers would have allowed members concerned to verify the refurbisment and security.

Trip Advisor should be pleased that Trixie's post has resulted in the Guest House being brought up to a decent standard.

The new owners should not be blamed for the previous owners failings.

Trixie's original post was valid at the time and readers would have reacted to it accordingly.

But it appears things have changed at La Manna, so I see no problem with the deleted post.

And if the new owners of La Manna read this, then re-write your post, and leave your contact numbers out.

Calangute
1 post
5. Re: guest houses beware

LaManna is now under new ownership. Moira and Alan from Edinburgh have now put new secure locks on all there rooms, and have a 24hr security guard. We have all of the required licences and registrations with the police. We hope that this will give peace of mind of future visitors to our homely guest house.

6. Re: guest houses beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2009, 23:35
Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: guest houses beware

Hi xerom

Please tell Moira that I hope that she hasnt "Fallen Down" again. Mind you she could blame the wet roads at this time couldnt she.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: guest houses beware

Hi

Incidently I can confirm that Moira was running La Manna when we left in April and had had quite a lot of work done since taking over the place although I am not familiar with which work.

new ork
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
9. Re: guest houses beware

A really good guest house. Clean and big rooms, really good. Food is good as well, I can only recommend that place.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: guest houses beware

Post number 9 looks a bit suspect. Brand new member, lives in NEW ORK (where is that, I ask myself???), marvelling about the guest house. Oh dear, the guest house owners do think we're all a bunch of gullible fools, don't they.....

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations