We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

digital camera

3 posts
Save Topic
digital camera

We are going to Goa in February, shall I get a camera here or wait until we are in Goa.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: digital camera

Hey there. My personal opinion would be to get one here. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, there wasn't really a great choice and I'm not sure the prices were too competetive, either. I think you'd get MUCH better ranges in Dixons etc. Another tip: buy some Ni-Mh rechargeable camera batteries from ebay. They work out MUCH cheaper than buying single use ones. Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: digital camera

Or you could wait until you get to the airport and buy one duty-free. Mind you, that only gives you the flight to learn how to work it.....I needed about 3 weeks of practice and STILL haven't sussed it out completely!

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: digital camera

Thanks Brian, I wasn't sure if electrical goods would be as cheap as I've been told clothes etc are.

It will be our first trip to Goa and we are wishing the Christmas period away so we can count down to our holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: digital camera

Sot of depends on why you need it, but if you want to take lots of photos of anything other than beaches and hotel pools, get it asap so that you have a chance to get used to it. You might also find that you end up taking lots of photos, because you don't have to pay to have them processed. Depending on your budget you might then need to think about memory. It costs quite a lot, but you can get other tyoes of storage device, or download to a laptop if you have such a thing.

Wildlife photography is a big part of our holidays and we moved from 23 films (about 800+ exposures) from our three weeks in Costa Rica in 2003 to nearly 6000 exposures in South Africa in September/October this year. We've still not finished weeding out the bad shots from the usable, but overall we've been quite impressed with the results - and we definitely could not have afforded to have 6000 prints developed.

If you're interested in comparing similar camera's (Canon EOS) results there are lots on our websites, avengerpenguins.com and .co.uk . The South African and Scotland pics on those sites were with digital and the rest were with ordinary film.

We'll be in Goa in Feb for the first time too. If you see anybody photographing birds, animals or flowers with a long lens, it will probably be us.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: digital camera

A thought about memory: you'll definitely find it cheaper on ebay. 1gb cost GBP40. That's enough for 400 top resolution photos at 5megapixels and several thousand at lowest quality.

J K
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: digital camera

Hi there,

Just to second the previous reply - makes sense to get your camera before you go. India is good for lots of things, but unfortunately digital cameras is yet to make it to the list. You should be able to get teh camera cheaper in the UK.

Also make sure you carry enough memory cards, or have a laptop or some other medium to transfer photos to. Carry a re-chargeable battery with charger if you can; if not, disposable batteries in India cost around Rs10.

Getting prints costs about the same in India, as anywhere else (around Rs.4 per 6"*4" print if you're using film, about Rs 10-12 if it's digital) but am not sure if you'll have time for that during a holiday!

HTH,

JK

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations