We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Goa

London
1 post
Save Topic
First time in Goa

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are just about to book our first trip to Goa to celebrate my 30th in January. We are both very excited about it (particularly after reading the great things you have all had to say about the place).

We are thinking of booking the Radisson White Sands because we can get a good package deal on it and it looks fairly quiet and secluded - which is what we are both looking for in the main.

I just wanted to know if anyone had stayed at the hotel. Will there be places to eat around and about (not too keen to stick to hotel food)? Will we be able to do some travelling around? It looks fairly far away from other places on the map but I was hoping we might just be able to hire taxis to take us about a bit.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Goa

I havn't stayed there but if you check Goa Hotels on this website there are some reviews also there are loads of threads on good rest. in the area just put restaurants in south goa at the search beside goa forums (does that make sense) and they will come up on screen. We have stayed in Mobor and cavelossim and from there you can easily travel around by hiring taxis. I wouldn't stay any further south than mobor though.

goa
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Goa

Hi,

I have stayed in some of the hotels but not the Radisson. It is at the southern end of the goa coast line. Heard its a good hotel. I have stayed in a couple of 5 star south goa hotels and they are quite good. What's good are the beaches - lesser rocks. There are a few nearby beaches in colva,benaulim and some more. Not very familar with this side. But there are shacks. You can take a cab down to that place or hire a bike. Believe me Goa is bike country. You will get one for Rs. 300 a day + your own fuel at Rs. 48 per litre.

The Bigger action is in north goa. Try Fort Aguada if you want a five star or Marriott ( in Panjim ) which is 15 km away from the start of the north goa beaches - candolim. North Goa - candolim / sequerieum, calangute, baga, anjuna, vagator ( within a 10 - 15 km stretch) and arambol 40 km to the north. You have the all day flea market on Wednesdays at Anjuna followed by a great sunset at Shore Bar ( recommended. Closes by 10 pm normally ), and the all night ( upto 3 am ) Saturday Night Bazaar at Arpora ( recommended. Recos : Food >> Beach Shacks in Baga, Calangute are ok. Anjuna and Vagator or more party places. Check out Paradisio for a daily trance night - great setting on a sloping hill at Anjuna. Similary a view from the Perch for Sunset at Nine Bar ( closes by 10 pm too ) and the setting there is superb.

Munchies is a good 24 hour shack at Anjuna. Arambol, up further north is a simply superb. You have a fresh water lake nearby too. Try Dream Catcher and Liquid Sky shacks to check out here. On the way to Arambol you come across Mandrem beach which is lovely with beach huts and a nestling ground for some turtles. You can check around cab drivers to get whereabouts of All Night Trance Parties.

Sightseeing : Check the Old Goa Churches and Dona Paula - nearer to the capital Panjim - which is between south and north goa.

Hope this is of help.

Enjoy.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Goa

Having read the last post whilst it has great tips on shacks etc. don't panic you can completely chill as well as enjoy the local culture it really isn't all trance parties etc. but it is the most magical relaxing welcoming place I have ever been to (can you tell I am looking forward to our return)

goa
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Goa

Hi,

I hope my note didn't scare anybody. It is true that Goa is a great destination and caters to various tastes. The Splendid Scenery, Friendly Population, Great Food, Good Beaches and of course some great party places and parties. Any which way, you can make your dream holiday happen here.

Ciao

yorkshire
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Goa

Hi London girl, about bike hire, do you need your licence?in thailand it wasnt needed. Are the roads mad? we going xmas eve for two weeks yes!We fancy hiring bikes and going different local areas...nice

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Goa

hi i have heard that the roads are mad and you do need a license and permit

England
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Goa

Yes, the roads are mad, particularly at Christmas, it's hard to get a legal bike (with an international licence and insurance) and personally I think you'd be mad to even consider it.I have seen quite a few accidents and am becoming more and more concerned with the antics of some tourists who don't even know how to ride a bike properly.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Goa

Hi we hire bikes all over UK ans EU and have passed test , experienced riders, but are going to see what the crazyness is like first.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Goa

Best of luck with bike hire! My husband is an experienced bike rider but he wouldn't hire a motor bike in Goa. (We get taxis where ever we want to go and it works out comparatively cheaply.) Goa appears to have very few signposts so you have difficulty knowing where you are travelling to plus of course no stop signs, no give way signs, basically it seems that no road signs are necessary, you just give way to anything bigger than you are, cows, buses etc, you overtake on a blind bend, you fail to signal, whatever. It makes life interesting on a motorbike, plus you can get more than 2 people on a bike if you want, you can put your children on the tank and between you. It all depends on what you are used to doesn't it? I have decided we are probably just boring stick in the muds! Perhaps we shall try bike hire when we go next time. Let us know if you did and how you got on.

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations