We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish in goa

akola
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
jelly fish in goa

hi, my friend visited south goa varca in july 2008 . the beach and sea was studed with jely fish to the extent that nobody could even enter the sea and ultimately the beach had to be closed . whoever entered the sea had to face fish bite .is july breeding season for jelly fish ? are jely fish present round the year ? are they present on a perticular beach ? what is the remedy for the bite ? is it very harmful ? plz advise

what is the situation in january ?

Benaulim
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
1. Re: jelly fish in goa

Ive lived in South Goa 9 years, on and off.

Cant imagine anybody going into the sea in july, very, very rough and dangereous.

In the season october through to april ive seen very few jelly fish, heard of a couple of stings, but not enough to stop me having a dip most days.

No not a big worry.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
26,915 posts
396 reviews
2. Re: jelly fish in goa

and just an add on to Steve's post I have had a google and it does seem there was an unusual volume of jellyfish on that coast and up to Mumbai in the middle of July 08.

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
3. Re: jelly fish in goa

We have stopped in north Goa for a number of years and used to see loads of jelly fish when out fishing but since the huge increase in the number of trawlers in the area we very rarely see a jelly fish now.

Benaulim
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
4. Re: jelly fish in goa

Lamanis (sellers) will sting you more.

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: jelly fish in goa

I believe that ammonia is one of the treatments for a jellyfish sting. Not very nice but everyone has a supply with them at all times!!!!

Preston
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: jelly fish in goa

We were in Candolim in April this year, and we saw hundreds washed up on the beach and quite a few in the sea. They were a srange purple colour, we asked if they were poisenous and the beach sellers told us they were'nt ?

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
7. Re: jelly fish in goa

Hi

I saw them in North Goa many years ago and haven't seen any since. The best cure unfortunately is to urinate on the sting!!! I wouldn't worry too much about jelly fish and there are so many great beaches to move to if your beach is affected.

sheffield
1 post
8. Re: jelly fish in goa

best going in november you can swim anywere on the coast you can even see delphins around dont let your experience put you off goa i go every year and so do thousands of others its one of the best places in the world

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: jelly fish in goa

We have been several times and only seen 2 jelly fish and they were small, but we have heard of people saying they had seen big ones in Calangute. We stayed in candolim

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: jelly fish in goa

i got stung by a jellyfish on colva beach 15 years ago ,not nice and i refused to go in the sea again on that trip but have returned many times and only seen a few .the ones ive seen are not dangerous as such but you certainly wont enjoy the sting..

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations