We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog bites!!!

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
Dog bites!!!

Hi,

I am travelling to India in October andI have read that there are lots of stray dogs (and monkeys!!) hanging around.

I am absolutely scared of random dogs as I've been biten three times in the past year or so.

Do dogs represent a nuisance, are there many reported cases of people attacked and biten?

Thanks!

Mizio

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,834 posts
1 review
1. Re: Dog bites!!!

Hi - you're not alone, I'm terrified of them too! There are quite a few dogs on the beach and this did scare me especially when they came and sat under my sunbed but in 3 visits to Goa now, I've never been bitten or scratched (touch wood)! They do tend to hang around in small packs and chase off any lone dog who may stray onto their territory. Sometimes the shack owners will chase them off. The only reported case in Goa that I remember was in 2005 when a British woman was bitten and unfortunately contracted rabies.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Dog bites!!!

Iv been going to goa 10 years now there is a lot of dogs there,but they have never bothered me,in the day they will just ignore humans but late at night they come alive all they are interested in is other dogs just give them a bit of space and they will ignore you some people go and stroke them i think thats asking for trouble,just forget they are there and they wont bother you.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Dog bites!!!

Thanks so much! That's very reassuring!

CHeers

MIzio

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: Dog bites!!!

we have been followed by them sometimes, just pick up a stone, they dont wait for you to throw it.

Londoner
Level Contributor
94 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Dog bites!!!

You will find that in the day they are harmless docile creatures but be warned, me and my wife were attacked by a pack that came out of the shaddows at 2am, we would normally be in bed by then but on this occasion we were at a wedding reception on the beach at Candolim. The attack was on the beach road at the beach end of the road which was unlit, we were surrounded by snarling dogs and was only rescued when a beach seller came to our aid with a weapon. Never been so glad to see a beach seller.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Dog bites!!!

Hi,

Went to candolim last year, there are lots of dogs but they ignore humans,we had no problems. they do le under your bed on the beach but you do not know they are there.

they tend to be in small packs and chase of unknown dogs and trespessers.

Have a good time the are ok.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Dog bites!!!

Thanks for all your comments!

Mizio

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
89 reviews
8. Re: Dog bites!!!

Neither my wife or I are scared of dogs and we both like them. However, we have been threatened by packs of dogs a number of times. I would advise carrying a walking pole with you in the early morning and at night. I also carry a stone im my pocket. Yes they will usually run if you bend down to pick up a stone, but they get more of a fright if you hit the leader with a stone without bending down to pick one up. In general if you do not go near local houses you should not have any problem, and certainly do not feed them.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Dog bites!!!

Thanks very much. The stone in the pocket and the walking stick are very useful tips.

Thanks!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Dog bites!!!

Great, are we promoting animal cruelty on this site now?

If I see anyone abusing any animals while I'm in Goa, I will contact the local authorities asap.There is actually a Animal Welfare Act in India you know! This is the behaviour borne out of ignorance.

Stray animals need our help, not weapons!

The local International Animal Rescue shelter in Assagao has had Animal Birth Control and Rabies Vaccination programmes going for 10 years now, which have proved highly effective in reducing the cases of dog bites and human rabies, and reduced the number of wandering strays.

To support their work, wouldn't it be better to report any stray animals so they can be rounded up and checked out, rather than walking round with a stick and a stone?

Ah, can't see anymore! Too furious!

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations