We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lap tops

london uk
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lap tops

am going to goa for three months to private accomodation. planning on taking our lap top to watch dvds etc., but as very green about such things any info on getting on the internet from the flat would be really helpful.What do i need to get i hear there is a card you purchase.?Where can i get some real help. I have asked in the stores but have had various answers. Would it be cheaper just to go to internet shops to send mail to family Another query,i have left references in goa blank as i did last year will that still be ok this year as i read authorities have become more vigilant. I would be grateful for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
london uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lap tops

hi

im not sure about wireless internet over there if thats what you mean - i would doubt it to be honest. but there are places where you can use the internet on their computers like the elephant shop in candolim. we also have taken our laptop to watch dvds & the only problem really was worrying about it being secure when we went out as it wouldnt fit into the ( & many hotels) security safes ( tiny) we never left ours lying around our room or on view & always hid it locked into a suitcase that was also locked onto a non moveable/hard to move piece of furniture when we went out with a bike lock.

as for the visa last 2 times i put the reference section blank & have had no problems, i think the first couple of times we went i wrote the hotel/tour company as referees.

hope this helps a little

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lap tops

Hi,

This post might be of help to you. You can find the same companies available in Goa. Just take a look through the website links I posted there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304556-i6778-k152…

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lap tops

Hi

I always took my laptop because it gave the Children at the Hostel that I help something to watch. I have now stopped taking as I have left it at the Hostel as grew tired of carrying it to and fro. It's safe there and is one less thing to worry about taking.

I would think that it would work out cheaper to use the internet cafe rather than try to access the NET from your accommodation. It is even better to take your laptop to the internet cafe and use that, via thier network, as this would give you more security against keyloggers and the like. I always take mine if I need to access my bank and always keep my virus scanner and firewall up to date.

Buy a laptop lock and fix it to something in your accommodation that cannot be removed easy when you go out. Close all windows and make sure that the laptop is not near or in view of any windows. Things can easily be 'fished' out of rooms.

Get extra insurance to cover the laptop as your normal travel insurance and house insurance may not cover it should it go missing.

AND don't forget that your laptop will count as your hand luggage as you can only take 1 piece on most flights now and it may not be safe in your checked in baggage.

Hope that this helps and have a great time.

Paul

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lap tops

Hi,

If your laptop is not necessary I would advise using an internet cafe.

They are plentiful BUT you now do need to produce your passport and register with them .That ruling is now being inforced my neighbour who runs an internet cafe informs me.

Another alternative if you do bring it is to take it to an internet cafe and just connect via a spare ethnet connection but carrying it around is also a pain.

To use from private accom you need either a wireless phone or land line installed.For three months it aint woth the trouble and i doubt if you would even get as things don't work quickly here

The other alternative is Blue Tooth on a local Network,Sometimes a pain because of speed.

I do use my laptop because of length of stay,landline and broadbend installed plus Sunday is our yap with family day for a few hours on VOIP (Skype)

For DVD[s couldn[t you bring one of those cheapy players and connect to the TV as most accomodation here supply one.But if you do follow that path there are no scart connections here .All av

london uk
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lap tops

thanks every one for your help. I think i will just take a portable dvd player as its less hastle. Maybe my kids can get me a cheap one for Christmas!!! Some one has told me Asda do a good cheap one.Also seen on another link that you can put in the "British Deputy High Commission" in Mumbai for reference in India if you are going indepently of a travel agent as we are.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
yorkshire
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lap tops

the internet cafe next door to park avenue hotel in calangute has wi-fi ... i dont know its range but i will be trying it nexr week...if it works for me i will report back, next week ...

7. Re: lap tops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:45
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations