We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to hampi

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
travelling to hampi

we would like to visit hampi but are staying in candolim.....

has anyone got any suggestions on best/ 'easiest' route options?

any advice on how long the journey might take & how much it could cost?

any stories about experiences en route - what could we expect by travelling by train?

thanks!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to hampi

Not sure about train options from Goa, because they are a bit roundabout and not frequent. I would suggest you look at travelling by bus, and you may want to ask around, Probably you may need to come from Goa to Hubli and take a bus/train from there. Consider going via Bijapur and check out the Gol Gumbaz in Bijapur. If you look at a map of the area you will get a better idea about the geography

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to hampi

You can get a train from Margao (South Goa) to Hospet (next town to Hampi). We did the trip in 2000 and I would highly recommend!!!

Most travellers to Hampi actually stay in Hospet, you can pick up Karnataka State Tourist Buses for a guided tour of Hampi from Hospet daily.

The train journey took approx. 9 hrs and was very pleasant - we travelled in 2nd class non A/C which was perfect for us.

Day Tripper in Calangute offer Hampi as one of their 3 day organised tours - we used them for the trip and found them to be very efficient and the tour was well organised.

Hampi itself is a spectacular place - it must be seen to be believed!!! It's like being on the set of an Indiana Jones movie. You'll need a decent pair of comfy shoes (lot of walking involved), plenty of sunblock and a hat and don't forget your camera

Have Fun, GFF xx

OHS
OHS
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to hampi

We have stayed in Canolim the last six years and have used Day Tripper in Calangute for many trips. We did Hampi in 2005, it was a lovely trip very basic accomidation but the train was wonderful, an experience not to be missed. I can't remember how much Day Tripper charged but it was worth every penny as they look after you so well and Eddie is honest about all his trips and will not give you any false information. Have a great time.

OHS

Essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to hampi

Just a little mention regarding the train journey; the experience is worth every rupee, how ever the seats are extremely hard to sit on for about 8 ~ 10 hrs. I would suggest taking a cushion of some sorts, inflatable or what ever.

The toilets on 2nd class non AC are also an experience that is never forgotten!! Take a clothes peg to avoid inhaling the pong! Seriously this is a definite alcohol hand wipe over area.

The stations provide lovely hot and cheap food and drinks with lots of lovely smiling and friendly people. The train carriages have no windows but have bars to keep the head in! There is normally an array of ceiling fans that probably wont work!

We absolutely enjoy any India train journey, in fact we are planning a trip using the train to try and do a run from Chennai. and try and circumnavigate India. (we are not train anoraks)

Have a nice holiday and try to arrange everything yourself it's so rewarding and relatively easy.

Patricia

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to hampi

thanks very much to all for your very helpful advice.

i had been surfing the net for info & had not even come across 'daytripper'!

we will certainly be making a beeline for calangute to book up!

thanks again.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to hampi

ha ha - we posted at the same time!

thanks patricia for your contribution!

i'm pleasantly surprised at the positive comments about the train (exception of loos!)

we will have kids with us so think that organised trip would suit us better.

good luck with your plans!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,959 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to hampi

If you're going to Hampi, I'd highly recommend this hotel called Boulders. We stayed there a few months ago, and I haven't stopped recommending it ever since :)

www.nivalink.com/bouldersresort/index.html

If you want more info, just ask, I have tons of photos from the trip. Kids will love the Boulders walk to the Chalcolithic caves (rope bridges, river underneath, etc).

There is a wonderful review of Boulders by someone else on this forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g319725-d427…

- Deepa

- Deepa

uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to hampi

I can certainly recommend the " boulders". We had a great time 4 years ago. I would recommend having an air conditioned room there though as it gets very hot inland. Lots to see and a great experience as was the train journey.....live a little....but take a cushion or you will be walking like John Wayne with a bad case of piles for about three days afterwards.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to hampi

If you can, try and visit the Gol Gumbaz at Bijapur, which is not too far from Hampi-maybe a few hours drive

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling to hampi

Just checked Central Goa > Hampi on my train search engine at www.indiagroove.com

You can make it in just under six hours.

Direct Route:

------------------

Train No/ Name | depart | arrive | Hours | Distance | Days Departing

2848 VSG HOWRAH EXP 08:15 14:08 5 hrs, 53 min 345km --- Tue --- Thu Fri --- Sun

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations