We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

Hello

On a forthcoming trip to India we would like to buy a ruby or pink diamond ring and just wondered if anyone knows of a jeweller in either Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata who can provide guarantees that their gems and metals are from ethical sources? All advice much appreciated.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

many gems and precious metals in the uk come from dodgy sources and are pretty untraceable india will be no different

Edited: 08 January 2013, 16:31
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

And any jeweller will just tell you what you want to hear. Blood diamonds!

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

On the basis that you will never truly know the source of the gem, the best thing is to just buy it. The only other suggestion is to contact NGO's who worry about such matters and ask them for a list of recommended sellers.

UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

I agree with STALEXLiverpool, they'll tell you anything, but I've bought bargain stones there (diamonds, rubys and sapphires) from Rashid, who used to be in a tent on Majorda beach in front of the Aquarian shack. Had the stuff valued back in the UK and it's always been worth at least 3 times what I paid for it. Good quality too.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

I'm not sure what information a certificated (e.g. GIA certificate) stone will give you - maybe it will give information about source of stome, maybe not.

Obviously, even if it did give the source, that wouldn't cover the metal.

nDon't rely on a verbal guarantee - as Stalex says, they can tell you anything they think you want to hear.

If I were serious about source of gemstones, I'd buy from somewhere that could really guarantee it.

Some places do, I'm not recommending this website - (and not NOT recommending it - IYSWIM - I just use it for reference), but they do say they have an audit trail back to each diamond's source to verify it's not a 'blood diamond':

diamondgeezer.com/diamond-buyers-guide/index…

6. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 23:05
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

Getting a certificate is easy, they will print one with whatever you want on it while you wait however finding the colour stone in the quantity you want will take a bit longer

Edited: 03 June 2013, 12:36
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

Should say quality not quantity, spell checker and operator error, sorry

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

I can't say that "ethically sourced" and "India" often appear in the same sentence!

Wolf

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying ethically sourced gems in Goa, Mumbai or Kolkata

may be ethically sourced in india but i think the meaning of the word may get distorted in translation