We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Goa...where to stay?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
First Time in Goa...where to stay?

We are a couple in early (ish) thirties, want to stay at a nice hotel but in walking distance to places to eat/bars. Finding the travel information a bit confusing as where to go!

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
1 review
1. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

Hi SassyMart

I would recommend Candolim in the north for a first visit, it's not quite as manic as Calangute or Baga. There are some really nice hotels and everything is in walking distance, beach, bars, restaurants etc.

I would call in at your local travel agents and get a few brochures to give you some idea, then when you've looked through them have a look on here at the hotel reviews of any hotels that take your fancy, then ask away on the forum for any further information.

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

depends on what you want

south goa is a quiet chilled place plenty of bars and nice hotels

north goa a lot more going on

candolim is quiet busy calangute is very busy baga is mental

we love baga resteruants to many to count bars the same shops stalls and night clubs 100 rups for a taxi into calangute for a different night out

I think the nicer hotels are in the south but non are up to european standards most poeple on here will agree the hotel is actually of little importance once in goa as long as it is cleen the ronil in baga gets good revievs and is in a fantastic position

we use the beira mar dead basic but cleen and cheep exultant position try typing baga beach, titoes road, calangute or any combination in utube you will find loads of videos to look at

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
3. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

I love this

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

paul what do you love

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
5. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

Sorry dont know what happend there.

I love this question when it comes up. Its so difficult to answer because we dont actually know what you really like and want out of a holiday. Many people on this forum love some places and not so much other places. for instance Everytime this quetion pops up Deby c says Candolim and i say Baga. Many people like things quieter and go to south Goa.

If your a 1st timer and like a bit of life id would maybe go to Calangute which is between Candolim and Baga, 10 mins in a taxi to all. You can even get a taxi and stay a night or two in southGoa so you will have good look around.

Fraserburgh
Level Contributor
101 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

We are going to Bagga next Feb for three weeks. This will be our fourth time. As stated its a bit more hectic than Calangute or Candolim, but it is full of great eating places and not too far from Mapusa. We love the Nazri resort but there are also other great hotels such as Ronil Royal. If you want cheap and cheerrfull there is the Bierra Mar. It realy depends on what you like/dislike. It is always difficult recommending somewhere.

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
1 review
7. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

Paul I only said Candolim because they said they wanted a nice hotel within walking distance to bars and restaurants, they haven't actually said what type of holiday they are looking for.

For any first timer I would recommend Candolim because it's got the best of both worlds, plenty to do with loads of good eating places and without it being too manic, I know for sure had I been thrown into Calangute for my first visit many years ago I don't think I would have fallen in love with Goa quite as quick as I did.

We do go up to Calangute and also plenty of other places but prefer to stay in Candolim.

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
8. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

Sorry Deby C if my post came out wrong. All i ment is that people seem to sway to my fav place. I think i do. My first time was Calungute which was good but like you say its best to visit it rather than stay there. (most prob get shot down). We love Baga as we like going end of season and only gets very busy at weekends or Easter week. We like going to Candolim too for the odd days, like you say theres plenty of good places to eat.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,066 posts
86 reviews
9. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

I agree with Deby that Candolim is a good place to start for a first time visit to Goa for a couple in their early 30s. It's where we went on our first visit and although I prefer the south we are a bit older than the OP. However we really do need more information Sassy about what you want from a holiday. You've said that want to stay at a 'nice hotel' within walking distance to places to eat/bars but we could do with knowing how busy or quiet you like it? Most places in Goa have restaurants and bars within walking distance. How much nightlife do you want? Do you want a nice meal with a few drinks afterwards or would you like something livelier with entertainment? Do you want to be near the markets and lots of shopping?

If you give a bit more information about what you want from a holiday it will be easier to advise you as different people like different places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: First Time in Goa...where to stay?

I just got back from first trip to Goa last week. We stayed at Bourgainvillea in Candolim. I'm in my early 30's and loved it. The hotel is very reasonable but is very clean with western facilities and great hospitality.

I loved Candolim, the beach is lovely and there are loads of restaurants, bars and shacks. We went to Baga one evening and were not big fan's it very busy and even our taxi driver didn't want to drive there! Having said that if your up for partying to the small hours every night Baga might be best but it's only a short taxi ride away if you want to experience it on a few occasions. We did a couple of days down in the South at the end as I was finding it hard to decide which area was best. Why not try both, it's only about two hours drive away and really add's to your experience.