We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bikes and scooters

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bikes and scooters

Not sure which documents you actually need to keep with you when you ride your bikes however I have noticed that the traffic police pulling people over to check (they are also checking out of state cars)...the police have been near Bob's Inn on border of Candolim/Calangute 4 times in last 2 weeks...mind you they do leave at 1.00pm!

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Calangute
Calangute
North Goa District, India
Coco Shambhala
Coco Shambhala
#1 of 130 hotels in Bardez
The Park Baga River Goa
The Park Baga River Goa
#1 of 23 hotels in Arpora
Sterling Goa Varca
Sterling Goa Varca
#1 of 10 hotels in Varca
england
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bikes and scooters

i think the police presence at the mo is because of divali, roads should start getting better hopefully after the weekend , and i just carry international dl

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bikes and scooters

You are probably right as there are so many domestic tourists around because of Diwali...but seeing so many people being pulled by the traffic police, I just wanted to remind people to ensure that they carry copies of their documents with them. there are lots of places around where you can get these done, keeping the original ones safe......much cheaper than the 'fines'!!!

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bikes and scooters

they also check some times if you have insurance and and emmissions certificate,also mot type cert. the person who hires the bike to you should leave them in the seat well

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bikes and scooters

One mistake I made was to carry just the International Licence which is invaild without your UK one. You need to carry both or a few hundred Rupees.

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bikes and scooters

Thanks dragon&hants lad for the extra info'. As I don't hire myself I wasn't sure of all the documents that you need. Having seen so many people being pulled up the last 2 weeks each time the police have been here (and the scooters that have been put on the back of the lorry) I wanted to try and make sure that all people on the forum,especially newbee's are aware that you need them...and as you say, when all else fails pay them!!!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bikes and scooters

Besides the home country driving license and international permit, copies of the vehicle registration booklet or smart card, vehicle insurance cover note and emission check report are needed.

If the vehicle road tax paid is 'lifetime tax', then the receipt is not needed, the registration document would indicate so.

If not 'lifetime' then the tax paid receipt would be needed. 'Lifetime' or not varies from state to state so best to check with the owner of the vehicle.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bikes and scooters

Boring i know but make sure you are covered by your travel insurance too.

8. Re: bikes and scooters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 10:46