We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer at mumbai

liverpool
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
transfer at mumbai

Someone said the transfer from Intl terminal to Dom terminal at mumbai is a bit of a pain.

How so?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer at mumbai

It's not unless you have hours to wait.

You have to collect your luggage and don't believe them if they tell you at Heathrow that it will be checked through it won't!!! Then either go through to the Internal bus area and check your luggage back through or go to prepaid taxi booth and get a taxi round for 120 rupees we always do this as there is usually a bit of a queue for the bus and we are dying for a fag by then so want to get outside as quick as possible.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer at mumbai

It's not that bad. Once you've cleared Immigration and Customs you have to get a transfer bus, which takes you and your luggage to the Domestic Terminal which takes about 20 minutes or so. Once you get to the terminal you then have to go to your relevant check-in desk for your flight to Goa.

liverpool
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer at mumbai

That doesn't sound so bad.

On the way in we've got 3 hours wait in total. (was sold to us as "two hours", cheers Southall) sounds like at least an hour will be eaten up with bags and immigration, etc.

Way back is more of a pain, about 4 hours, I think, after a heinous early start from Goa.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer at mumbai

It's wise to allow at least 2 hours to get through immigration and transfers. The longer wait on the way back will be spent in the international terminal which is quite nice now they have refurbished it.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
979 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer at mumbai

Hi

Its a lot more pleasant queuing for hours in the road to get past Security to get into the Terminal at Dabolim at night (25º) than it is in the heat of the day (40º+)....

liverpool
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer at mumbai

yep, heard Dabolim i sa bit of a hole. 8:30am plane, so what time should I get there? 7am? 6am? right pain in the bum, it's basically wiping out last day of the holiday, flying friday to friday for 2 weeks, but onlt getting 12 nights of hol :( oh for the old, pre family days, when you'd simply sack off a job and go for as long as you could afford.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer at mumbai

Have done the transfer many times with Jet and Kingfisher, with both airlines it pays to use the transfer desk in the international airport and re-check your bags for the Goa flight before going to the domestic airport , that way you get the 46kg allowance on the domestic flight and you don't have to mess about at the check-in desks in the domestic terminal also the transfer coach drops you by domestic departures gates, not outside the airport

If you have bought booze or perfume in duty free or on the flight make sure your put it in your hold luggage before you re-check your cases as you can not take liquids pass the domestic security check point

Edited: 31 January 2011, 12:15
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer at mumbai

One of the reasons for using scheduled flights is so you can travel when you want , with Qatar you can arrive in Goa at 3.30 am and leave 4.30 am giving you the maximum time in Goa

I have a mate that gets the Jet Airways evening flight from London after work and returns after however long he can get off work on the overnight flight, arriving back early morning and goes straight to work ... not an option I would pick even if I was not retired but it can be done

London, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer at mumbai

<<If you have bought booze or perfume in duty free or on the flight make sure your put it in your hold luggage before you re-check your cases as you can not take liquids pass the domestic security check point>>

This isn't strictly true. If you buy anything at duty free in the UK and you tell them you have a connecting flight in another country they're put your items in a transparent sealed carrier bag. if the seal is broken you'll have trouble taking it through but if not it'll be fine. I did it last year when I flew to Goa via Mumbai.

10. Re: transfer at mumbai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 17:48