We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free atm usage

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
free atm usage

hi guys anyone know of a bank or b.s that offers free withdraws from atm abroad this year? nationwide was great the last 2years but this year seem to be charging now. not quite sure what to do this season?????

essex
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: free atm usage

Hi, I think that the problem is that the banks in Goa are also charging for the use of ATM's, so even if you find a card that doesn't charge you here they will charge you there - I did read that it can be up to 300 rups per withdrawal. We are taking tc's and cash this time. lx

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free atm usage

thanks for quick reply. tc would be safer i guess, maybe thats the way i will play it this time and use p.o credit card for purchases?

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: free atm usage

Read in an earlier post HDFC BANK charge for withdrawels but the AXIS & ICICI UNION BANKS dont.

Not sure if this is stil the case, but i do know it was posted by someone living in Goa.

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: free atm usage

10. Re: ATM charges?

08 November 2010, 6:29

HDFC charges, I went there and they thankfully displayed a message about 'their' charge. So I didn't get any money out. ICICI, Union bank and Axis still don't charge so I use them, unfortunately Nationwide have added charges but that's their side not this side. The max you can get out in one go is 10,000 Rs, which I find really annoying, especially now that Nationwide has introduced the per transaction charge rather than just a percentage. The daily limit is still 20,000 as far as I am aware. Quite often though the ATMs restrict you to just one transaction (10,000), been a one before and they would only let me have it once, then my friend used it and she got money, so I tried again and then it let me... Unfortunately the error messages they provide are really not helpful so it's hard to know if the machine is out of money, you're over your limit, you don't have enough cash etc...

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free atm usage

does seem like we had it good for the last 2visits and now tc and £ will be taken . thanks guys for the help

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: free atm usage

Anyone know if Canara bank Candolim charges?

Candolim, India
Level Contributor
197 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: free atm usage

not sure about Canara but if it does there is an Axis directly opposite it

chilly

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: free atm usage

If ATM will not give money, you may find that the card has been blocked from uk. I had to keep phoning bank up every time (after 1st) to get it unblocked. Eventually put 'fraud' number of speed dial on my mobile (Indian sim)

lancashire uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: free atm usage

Sample withdrawal using Nationwide Flexi debit card;-

25 Nov 10,000 INR @71.736 = £139.40

Non UK commission fee -£2.78

Non UK cash wdl fee-£1

The good times using the Nationwide Flexi card are over I,m afraid.I used both

Axis bank and Canara bank in Candolim.There was no fee for withdrawing from these banks on my statement.

Candolim, India
Level Contributor
197 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: free atm usage

thanks for that info mick we always normally use nationwide but this year have not used nationwide card once (or any ATM in fact) due to these charges so its useful to know using actual figures what these are ....cheers

chillyandmike