We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibetan Market, Calangute

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Tibetan Market, Calangute

Just recently used some ointment whilst wearing a 'silver' ring purchased in November, and the ring is now completely ruined. The so called silver, has come off, and the ring is a dark metal now. Tried silver polishing it, but to no avail. I loved that ring too!!

So much for all the kerfuffle weighing the ring etc, it was not real silver at all. I have tested the ointment on other silver and it was unaffected, so......... beware.

manchester
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Sure Delboy wasn't on the market that day MolesKent, luvly jubbly.....bonjour!!!

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

All that glistens and all that eh !!!!

BOB.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
121 reviews
3. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

ha ha, i have just replied on another post that the tibetan markets are good for silver lol, i have bought some lovely stuff from them though

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
997 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi

The lesson here is dont put ointment on your fingers while wearing Tibetan silver

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

He he, well I did hear him call his mate a plonker. Or perhaps he was talking about me, 'cause I feel like one!!!

I too have bought some lovely stuff over the years, but I am loath to put it anywhere near my coal-tar ointment in case I find that it is all a rip-off. Still I like it, that's the main thing I suppose, just like I loved the ring until it turned colour!

At least now I know the score, and will remember that when I'm next there.

And I know now that my two white gold rings I was also wearing at the time, are definately genuine. I bought those in Gulzar jeweller in Candolim, and have bought from him many items over the years. Win some, lose some.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

And we all thought that the Tibetans looked more trustworthy and honest too!

manchester
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Wasn't his sheepskin coat and flat cap a bit of a give away!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

I'd said in another recent post that I quite liked buying off the Tibetans - that'll put me further on my guard at Xmas! I think I'll just buy cashews in Margao this time as I think they'd be quite difficult to fake.

Well, Moleskent, I suppose it could have been worse - they might have sold it as platinum and think of how much out of pocket you'd have been comparatively!

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi, I buy from the same lady on the Tibetan market and have done every year for 8 years. Bought a very large golden topaz for a necklace with beautiful silver mounting. Unfortunately, the stone came loose so went to a jeweller in Leeds who quoted me £20 for repair. I told him I hadnt paid anything like that for the necklace and was amazed when he told me it was worth 5 times the cost of repair. Also was in another jewellers in leeds,when the jeweller admired a necklace I was wearing and couldnt believe how little I paid for it.

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi, I buy from the same lady on the Tibetan market and have done every year for 8 years. Bought a very large golden topaz for a necklace with beautiful silver mounting. Unfortunately, the stone came loose so went to a jeweller in Leeds who quoted me £20 for repair. I told him I hadnt paid anything like that for the necklace and was amazed when he told me it was worth 5 times the cost of repair. Also was in another jewellers in leeds,when the jeweller admired a necklace I was wearing and couldnt believe how little I paid for it.