We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibetan Market, Calangute

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tibetan Market, Calangute

Just recently used some ointment whilst wearing a 'silver' ring purchased in November, and the ring is now completely ruined. The so called silver, has come off, and the ring is a dark metal now. Tried silver polishing it, but to no avail. I loved that ring too!!

So much for all the kerfuffle weighing the ring etc, it was not real silver at all. I have tested the ointment on other silver and it was unaffected, so......... beware.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Sure Delboy wasn't on the market that day MolesKent, luvly jubbly.....bonjour!!!

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

All that glistens and all that eh !!!!

BOB.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

ha ha, i have just replied on another post that the tibetan markets are good for silver lol, i have bought some lovely stuff from them though

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
997 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi

The lesson here is dont put ointment on your fingers while wearing Tibetan silver

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

He he, well I did hear him call his mate a plonker. Or perhaps he was talking about me, 'cause I feel like one!!!

I too have bought some lovely stuff over the years, but I am loath to put it anywhere near my coal-tar ointment in case I find that it is all a rip-off. Still I like it, that's the main thing I suppose, just like I loved the ring until it turned colour!

At least now I know the score, and will remember that when I'm next there.

And I know now that my two white gold rings I was also wearing at the time, are definately genuine. I bought those in Gulzar jeweller in Candolim, and have bought from him many items over the years. Win some, lose some.

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

And we all thought that the Tibetans looked more trustworthy and honest too!

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Wasn't his sheepskin coat and flat cap a bit of a give away!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

I'd said in another recent post that I quite liked buying off the Tibetans - that'll put me further on my guard at Xmas! I think I'll just buy cashews in Margao this time as I think they'd be quite difficult to fake.

Well, Moleskent, I suppose it could have been worse - they might have sold it as platinum and think of how much out of pocket you'd have been comparatively!

Mentioned in this post
Margao
Margao
South Goa District, India
Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi, I buy from the same lady on the Tibetan market and have done every year for 8 years. Bought a very large golden topaz for a necklace with beautiful silver mounting. Unfortunately, the stone came loose so went to a jeweller in Leeds who quoted me £20 for repair. I told him I hadnt paid anything like that for the necklace and was amazed when he told me it was worth 5 times the cost of repair. Also was in another jewellers in leeds,when the jeweller admired a necklace I was wearing and couldnt believe how little I paid for it.

Mentioned in this post
Tibetan Market
Tibetan Market
83 Reviews
Calangute, India
Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tibetan Market, Calangute

Hi, I buy from the same lady on the Tibetan market and have done every year for 8 years. Bought a very large golden topaz for a necklace with beautiful silver mounting. Unfortunately, the stone came loose so went to a jeweller in Leeds who quoted me £20 for repair. I told him I hadnt paid anything like that for the necklace and was amazed when he told me it was worth 5 times the cost of repair. Also was in another jewellers in leeds,when the jeweller admired a necklace I was wearing and couldnt believe how little I paid for it.

Mentioned in this post
Tibetan Market
Tibetan Market
83 Reviews
Calangute, India