We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monkeys!!

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Monkeys!!

I have promised my daughter she will see monkeys this time in Goa although I do not want to go to the waterfalls again! I have to deliver as I have said we can't have a dog until the cat passes away which nearly happened 10 days ago (£500 vets bill and that came out of my flight money!!)

I don't mind travelling by train so I await your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monkeys!!

Drive up to the Reis Magos church, Verem and the Chapel of Our Lady of Cures, Cansaulim. When you get there, the view along the the coastline is quite spectacular. On the drive up, you will pass troops of monkeys - they were everywhere!

Remember, they are wild animals. Do not get out of the car. On no account, let your daughter feed any monkeys, even if others say it is safe and fine to do so. I got bitten by a monkey in Delhi about 4 years ago and the course of anti rabies jabs and immunoglobulin jabs were not pleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Cansaulim
Cansaulim
South Goa District, India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monkeys!!

Thanks for that Londonraffles, I wouldn't let her touch them at all as you rightly say its just not worth the risk. That's another little "thing to do" going into my little book.

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Monkeys!!

Hi

There were monkeys (up close green vervet ones, no threat) at the Tiger reserve on the Tiger and Tusker trip into Karnataka.

But its a bit of a marathon - hundreds of kilometers in a minibus, all in a day. And there's 5 hours each way on the train - rattling along with the doors wide open...

Monkeys in Goa are 2*, like the hotels.

On the Gambian coast they are 4+*, and on the Kenyan coast 5+* - all over your balcony in the evening taking peanuts and mango out of your hand, and in the room raiding the fruit bowl.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monkeys!!

Hi Pdix, the ones in Hampi and Hospet many years ago were fantastic but its most probably too far into Karnataka for us to go this time.

Mentioned in this post
Hampi
Hampi
Bellary District, India
Hospet
Hospet
Bellary District, India
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,941 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monkeys!!

We saw monkeys when we visited the old fort at Cabo Da Rama on our way to Agonda a few years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
South Goa District, India
Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monkeys!!

We saw a troupe of monkeys while walking along the lane to Bouganvillea in Anjuna - there were about 40 or so all sizes and mothers carrying babies - beautiful! We also saw a HUGE one run across the road in front of the car on the way to the temples at Ponda. I think if you just go inland a little more you will see more than right on the coast. Agree though - non are 100% safe so don't get bitten.

Mentioned in this post
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
Ponda
Ponda
North Goa District, India
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
887 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monkeys!!

We saw 2 monkeys when we visited MORJIM in march they wait about for feeding time i have a picture of one of them and boy was he a big one i;ll try and put it on, like others have said dont get to close to them keep your distance they are known to carry rabies and they are quite nasty tempered..

Mentioned in this post
Morjim
Morjim
North Goa District, India
Goa, India
Level Contributor
698 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monkeys!!

We often get monkey's in the Mango House garden, Perhaps once a week, quite a large troup of 10 to 20 varying sizes, they're pretty harmless here, although they do steal all the mangoes, cashew fruit, chicku's etc which isn't ideal, although it's fun to see them playing on the trampoline, swings and tree houses in the garden... Our dog loves to chase them, but they don;t seem overly bothered especially when they're half way up the tree.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
887 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monkeys!!

I have posted 2 photo's of the monkey we saw they are "pending" at the moment (think that means i have to wait a few days...

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monkeys!!

Hi Stalex .......have you booked yet??????????????????? And if you have who with??