We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief trip report

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Brief trip report

Back again. How can two and a half weeks possibly go so quickly?

Flew BA this time and wasn't looking forward to it, but I have to say I couldn't fault them and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. There was just as much legroom as there is on Kingfisher flights, and the food was considerably better than it was on Kingfisher in November. My only complaint is nothing to do with BA, but with the brat that screamed all the way back yesterday until we started our descent into Heathrow, and then fell asleep. Parents must have been at their wits' end as well as all the passengers.

I've spent this holiday staying with friends, so not really done anything touristy at all, other than four days on the beach at the end. Had had quite a lot of contact with the Goa Animal Welfare Trust, which has been really interesting, if a bit upsetting from time to time. There are anti-rabies camps in different villages each week which are really interesting. They can vaccinate anything from 70 to 200 dogs each time, plus deal with all the other problems people arrive with. I won't describe some of them here, but suffice it to say that if you're an animal lover it can be really distressing, but the charity does an amazing job.

Found a new restaurant - Jungle Junction - in Colva, which is excellent, as long as you ask for the food to be Goan spicy. Anthony who runs it is married to an English woman, but somehow is convinced that westerners don't like spice. I had the blandest masala papads there I think I've ever had, until I asked for them to be served as he would eat them and then they were absolutely amazing.

For shoppers in the south, Fabindia is just about to open a new branch in Margao, so we won't have to trail up to Panjim any more. Actually, that's a shame, because I like Panjim very much, but I don't like Margao at all. Also found a shop in Panjim called Innovations which sells really lovely kurtas and other Indian clothes. Very good quality, and very reasonable.

Rescued a cat that was stuck in a wall (curiosity killed the cat - and it nearly did this one), saw some fabulous birds, a huge lizard and a number of snakes. Walked quite a bit, swam quite a bit, ate quite a bit and talked far too much. Apart from that, nothing much!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Colva
Colva
South Goa District, India
Margao
Margao
Panjim
Panjim
North Goa District, India
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief trip report

Great report sounds like you really enjoyed yourself even if it was a bit upsetting at times and not a mention of the time for Honey Bee ... you must have been very busy

Pleased you had a good time

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief trip report

Actually GJ, I had to give up alcohol last year, so no Honey Bee for me any more. Mind you, I remember the HB hangovers only too well, even though it's many years since I was that daft! I'm still waiting for someone to invent a non-alcoholic drink here or in Goa that isn't like a glass of sugar syrup. Tomato juice and fizzy water get a bit tedious after a while!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
munich germany
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief trip report

Thanks for the interesting report, going to Colva soon, can you give directions to the new restaurant.

I like Panjim better than Margao for shopping, but have not found Innovations, can you help with directions.

Thanks lassi

Mentioned in this post
Colva
Colva
Panjim
Panjim
North Goa District, India
Margao
Margao
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief trip report

Right. Jungle Junction first. It's on the road down to Lucky Star. Walk down the road that runs parallel with the beach, past Tate's bar and the Skylark hotel. It's about five minutes walk on the left. The turning is just about opposite Caji's restaurant.

And Innovations I'll try to describe, but it's going to be a bit vague. If you're on the riverside road, turn into the city by the Army headquarters (it's a big red/pink and white building), and carry on up that road until you get to a little park. Turn left, past the Canteen and various other army type buildings and go to the end of that road (ie two sides of the square) and Innovations is almost directly in front of you, across the road. I don't know the name of the road and can't find it on the map either!

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief trip report

Goagirl, Maaza and Soda, lovely refreshing drink or a Moheto without the alchohol.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief trip report

I always have plain lime soda when I am having soft drinks, never with sugar.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brief trip report

Yes, I forgot plain lime sodas - I drink those as well. I tried getting various bars to make them for me in the UK as well, but it wasn't altogether successful. Anyway, at least you can get decent tea in Goa!! I forgot to go and get some coffee to bring back though, which is a bit irritating, but never mind. I'll live. I did have a bit of a blitz on Fabindia's sale, so now have plenty of summer clothes. I lost lots of weight last year, so it's nice to have some good tops that fit instead of just M&S t-shirts! Here's hoping we actually get a summer.

Oh, btw, my passport STILL wasn't stamped 'must not return within 60 days'.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brief trip report

Hi LGG seems like you just went away, glad you had a good time, thanks for the shoping tips, i've wrote then down, nothing like a bit of retail therapy.:)) at least the weathers a bit better for your return, welcome home Gel

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brief trip report

Nice to read your report LG. Didn't realize we were there at the same time, albeit me north you south.

I also don't drink a lot of alcohol, but the ice cold coffees and Lassi's are always nice if I'm fed up with lime soda.

I am interested in your involvement with the animal rescue, so perhaps you can pm me at some time with more info. That is the only downside to my holiday's in India, the treatment of the animals. I still think of the ones I came accross who are desperate for a little love, affection and play from humans, and those who flinch and back away when you reach out to them because they are frightened of contact, having only received negative treatment and abuse all their lives.

Oh God, I'm getting all emotional now.I'll get me coat.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brief trip report

Good read, LGG, and welcome back!

Nice to read something positive about BA too. I am so pleased to hear that Fabindia is opening in Margao - I've not gone to the one in Panaji, but I've been to two branches in Delhi, one in Kochi and even one in Dubai. Their handwoven cottons are superb quality, and to get in the sale too ...

All Goa needs now is an Anokhi - they do the best heavy linen trousers, suitable for summer workwear, also really nice boxy quilted jackets that work well with black skirt or trousers for formal workwear. A bit more formal than Fabindia, better prints too, an ethical company too which treats its staff well - if anyone's planning a trip up to Rajasthan, definitely visit their main store in Jaipur (they will post back all the quilts and bed & table linens etc that you can't carry with you!)

Non-alco drinks with a kick - tonic water with a decent dash of Angosturas bitter, served long over ice. Also, if you're near a juice extractor, carrot, apple and a bit of ginger root combine to make a really zingy drink that packs a punch!

Mentioned in this post
Margao
Margao
Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi (Cochin)
Ernakulam District, India
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Goa
Goa