We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shiroda-Maharashtra

Liverpool
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shiroda-Maharashtra

Has anyone been to the beach near Shiroda in Maharashtra, just a bit over the border North from Goa, I'm interested to know are there any shacks on it, is it Quiet, What are the roads like to get to it, and roughly how long will it take to get to from Arpora in a taxi.

Taxi has a reg plate that will allow him into Maharashtra and i know we have to take the ferry over the river by Tirocol fort.

I'm looking for wide open unspoilt, beaches.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Hi Wayne send a message to cyberhippie as he is a font of knowledge on travelling around. Good luck

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

From Baga to Reddi Beach it's about one and half hour on bike.

Head for Teracol but take the first ferry, not the Querim-Fort one.

Follow road from ferry to a T. Junction, left takes you back towards the fort, turn right, follow road through first village till you you come to a small power/ transmitting station, it's got red/white masts, turn next left, follow narrow road into village, road bears right and then any amount of lanes/walkways on the left take you onto the beach. Futher you go the easier access to the beach. Couple of shacks at the north end of the beach (no alcohol) but best to take some refreshment with you.

If you go by taxi, then no problem, but if on bike, you have to pass police/excise post. You may be stopped,chances are unlikely, but just tell him you are visiting the beach.

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
896 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

It's a fantastic beach went a few years ago,it was deserted when we arrived, within 5 mins all the locals were looking at us, ended up feeding the kids,from the bbq we did.Our taxi went the back roads.

manchester
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

We went in December, lovley beach. We turned left just before the 'check point' although it didnt look manned. We got onto the beach at the south(ish) end, though some woods. There were a couple of the road side seller type carts for drinks,samosas, omelettes, all made fresh.

It looked like they were starting some kind of construction work a bit further south, with a JCB on the beach/wood border.

Can I ask for lots of people to visit here as I lost my wedding ring larking about in the surf!!

We took the 1st ferry, near the new bridge as the other landing jetty had just been re-concreted.

The scenery is much the same as Goa but without every other building painted in kingfisher colours!!!!

Made a nice change from the usual hustle and bustle, cant remember how much we paid in taxi but wasn't expensive, used driver known as 'Scrapman' down near casa seashell in Candolim, good driver, knowledgeable and most important makes you feel self 'going into the unkown'.

Enjoy yourselves its worth the effort.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Redi is ok but Vengurla and Malvan/Tarkarli are much nicer for a short stay, plus at Malvan you can visit the sea fort of Sindhudurg

Tarkarli has plenty beach front accomodation, Vengurla just has the one hotel.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Hi Cyberhippie,

Couldnt agree with you more. No shacks/accom to talk about at Shiroda nor anything else.just as it should be for a beach Take you own snacks/water.Fishing boats for shade and a towel on the sand,what else do you need. Just had a couple of trips to Malven/Malwan.Once on our bike(100k each way in one day and did we know it) second time in a car with friends using the knowledge gained from the first trip .

27 rps for a boat trip to the Sindhudurg Fort (How the hell could they have built that in 3 years).Accom much easier to find in Tarkarli 5/6 kms away.Level was acceptable.

Eating prices more of an Indian level after the Goan ones with the local tastes of spices.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Went to Devbagh Island in Karnataka, had the beach to ourselves nearly all day, sea lovely and calm to swim in, one other couple from Mumbai joined us for lunch.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Hi Bruahy nice to see you back on TA,

There was a tented camp on Redi beach but it looked rather scruffy, (even to me and I'm not that fussy) and overpriced for what it was...

Is it really 100Kms to Malvan, where were you counting the KMs from?? I was thinking of going to Arambol and hiring a scooter from there to go up the coast for a day or two, how far from there??

Edited: 18 February 2010, 15:41
Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Hi Hyberhippie,

Thats from Calangute as per the bikes speedo. Arambol maybe 10 or so kms less but not enough to stop a sore ar**.I believe that its Highway 4 for most of the way but not sure as like most I just remember the road but as long as you ask for Shiroda /Vengurla/Malvan depending on which direction you are travelling there is enough English understood to get an arm pointing in the right direction.Signs not in English or Dutch.

There is a filling station in Malvan but cant remember seeing any other after passing the one at Arambol.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 16:12
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shiroda-Maharashtra

Thanks Bruahy, I've done a few 100 Kilometer trips on a scooter, very sore on the backside and lower back..