We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest resort & beach?

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nicest resort & beach?

we are hoping to go to Goa in Jan 2011 for my husband's 50th birthday. However, we're not sure which resort to go for - we like to have a nice beach, a decent clean hotel & restaurants to eat in. Not worried about loud bars but a bar or 2 would be nice! Our neighbours (in their 70s) travel to Goa every winter for 3 weeks & have stayed in various resorts. They told us it's best to book B&B because it's so cheap to eat. Any recommendations welcome + tour operators (they seem to go with Jewel in the Crown?)

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
The Crown Goa
The Crown Goa
376 Reviews
Panjim, India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Hi lizzie, I booked with Olympic Holidays brochure this time around. You would be best staying in South Goa if you would like it a bit quieter. You also have to go B & B so you can experience the eating out at the shacks and restaurants. I would never go all inclusive in Goa and I know the majority of other people I know would not either. Wherever you stay you can get taxis further north or south to experience more pristine and quieter beaches like Mandrem, Ashwem, Palolem and Agonda where most people stay over for a couple of nights in a beach hut. Whatever you need to know you will find all the answers her on TA.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Mandrem
Mandrem
North Goa District, India
Ashwem Beach
Ashwem Beach
521 Reviews
Panjim, India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
South Goa District, India
UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Thanks for that; can you recommend any resorts in S.Goa & hotels?

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Kent England
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Hi lizziew have a look at Holiday Inn Mobar Beach right on fabulous beach 5or 6 good shacks and lots of good restaurants....Ray

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Lizzie, where you go (North or South Goa) depends on what your personal preferences are, for example, the South has nicer beaches and is quieter, ideal for the holiday maker looking for peace and quiet. The North is more commercial with good beaches but more busier, there's a good variety of bars and restaurants in the three main resorts (Baga, Calangute and Candolim). It also has a couple of night markets in Arpora and a day market in Anjuna. For tour operators, you're best searching about as prices vary between them all, also try some websites like Travel Republic.

Mentioned in this post
Baga Beach
Baga Beach
3,879 Reviews
Baga, India
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Arpora
Arpora
Anjuna
Anjuna
Bardez, India
UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Thanks for the info; we have a budget and I don't think the Holiday Inn fits into it!! We have seen package holidays as cheap as £500 each for 2 weeks - some of these have good write-ups/others not so good. We are used to Greece so don't expect luxury - however we do expect clean!

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Hi lizziew

It is a very long time since my 50th but find we can only stay down south for a few days before we get bored out of our brains and much prefer and love the lively atmosphere of the CCB strip up north but we are all individuals so look for different things from life and you might like the died and gone to heaven feeling of the south

Personal I would look at places like Nazri, Marinha Dourada, Nizmar or the Highlands if they are out of your budget try the Osborne, Braganza and Ticolo all on the CCB strip or post details of your £500 deals to find out what is thought about them

Mentioned in this post
Osborne Resort Goa
Osborne Resort Goa
525 Reviews
Calangute, India
UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Thanks very much, yes we do like a few bars so maybe we'd be better north. The hotel we have seen (in Candolim) is the Lui Beach - it has pretty good reviews (just 1 or 2 bad ones). Anyone know it?

Mentioned in this post
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Lui Beach Resort
Lui Beach Resort
206 Reviews
Candolim, India
dorset
Level Contributor
564 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

Hello

We have travelled a couple of times with Jewel in the Crown and found them to be very good.

Also Olympic Holidays get good reviews (and have some great prices). www.olympicholidays.com

if you want to stay somewhere very simple (like a very simple Greek room) but right in the heart of everything, have a look at Olympic Holiday's Falcon Guest House - whic his usuallly pretty cheap. It is right by the beach and in the centre of Calangute, so you are close to everything!

Mentioned in this post
The Crown Goa
The Crown Goa
376 Reviews
Panjim, India
Calangute
Calangute
9. Re: Nicest resort & beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 09:49