We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

on our return journey we were slightly over our 20kg allowence 6kg between 2 cases the girl at the check in desk was ok with this but the man in blue uniform ? baggage handleier questioned it the check in girl double checked with a another girl on next desk she looked at our small hand luggage & said it was ok but the man asked for money my husband offered him 5 INR & SAID IT WAS ALL HE HAD. we carried on through security to departure lounge where he came & found us sometime later he approached my husband again for money i was cross & loudly stated i was going to find a policeman i walked straight up to a policeman at boarding gate & stared accross at the man he promptly left my husband alone. my husband said i shouldnt get uptight about situation i know bribary happens regularly in india but i think i dont feel its fair to be intimadated like this & tourists shouldnt give in to it. if the airline said we had to pay thats ok,but i see no reason to line someone elses pocket & the man stared at me unpleasantly-probably trying to memorise our faces i had also previously weighed our cases with a luggage scales & they were ok 20kg each

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

Way to go, jellybabe2! You did the right thing and I hope others learn from your experience!

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

if you weighted your luggage, then it was probably 20kg. they play little tricks as well - holding the leg on the weight adding couple of kg aso.

argo

Edited: 22 December 2009, 11:39
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

Nice warning, jellybabe - thanks for that, and well done for standing your ground.

We've never had any problems at the airport but then again, our luggage has never been over our limit.

Maybe that's because the things I tend to buy are very small and usually sparkly. LOL

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

A few years back they told us that our luggage was 46 kilos, but I had weighed it before we left the apartment and knew it was only 35 kilos. I removed the luggage and suggested that they weigh it again, but this time he should take his foot off the scales. Surprise surprise, it weighed 37 kilos that time. When we connected at Gatwick our luggage was once again 35 kilos. So not only were they artificially increasing the weight, but the scales were weighing too high. Must be a nice little earner.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

when we returned in november i weighed our luggage before we left hotel it was slightly under.when hubby checked in lo and behold it had put weight on.I told hubby to get hand held scales out of hand luggage and hey presto suddenly it lost weight.I could do with going on same diet as suitcases lol

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

I do tend to overspend when away, and always take to much, so always take my case scales away with me, sad init.

They wouldnt get a penny out of me either, hubby well thats another story, he doesnt like making a fuss.

7. Re: warning airport staff corrupt requesting bribes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 10:45