We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colva restaurants, etc

UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
27 reviews
colva restaurants, etc

Hi

Any new tips for places to eat in Colva & any idea where the best place for a tasty chinese.. Also any recommendations for a shack on the beach with a decent toilet & sunbeds & are they charging this year?

Also is the monday night market still on & are the tibetans there?

Many Thanks

LM

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: colva restaurants, etc

i think its a nicer beach scene in nearby benaulim,you can walk along the beach.i recommend ,raj mahal and johnncys for evenings and hawaii during the day. not sure about chinese though

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Hi lillymae i hope someone replies to your questions, as i would be intrested in the answers also, we will be in the south next week,We were staying in the south a couple of years ago and the market in colva did not start until january, yes there were tibetan stalls there as well, i bought a few things from them. We also went to calangute and bought from the tibetan market there, well worth the visit. Gel

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: colva restaurants, etc

No night market at the moment.

We've had our best meals in Fishland and Caji's - both along the beach road, about 10-15 minutes walk from the Skylark. Also had a reasonable meal in Sizzling Steak, Viva Goa and Eddie's Place on the beach. There are a few restaurants a bit further afield if you want to try them as well. The supermarket Sho Faz has now opened a restaurant on the main Margao road. It doesn't look very prepossessing, but the food is excellent.

Henry's (86HD) in Betalbatim has been receiving iffy reviews this year too LondonGel. I didn't go there, so this is hearsay, but everyone I know who has been there so far says portions are very small and bills are very big. Prices have increased a lot, I'm told.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Should also have added that there's a new, air conditioned restaurant in Colva called Brazilia (by the HDFC bank). I ate there twice and each time the service was absolutely chaotic and on one occasion the food almost inedible. The air conditioning was so fierce I had to take a cardigan with me. If they manage to get the service sorted, it might be worth trying, but I honestly wouldn't go back there again. They cremated very small fish, for which they charged a lot of money, had loud trance music blaring out (for a clientele that was almost exclusively over 45) and had no idea what soft drinks they had other than water (not much, turned out to be the answer!).

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Thanks for the info LGG, not very happy about 86HD as we are only staying about 5 minutes away and was going to use there a few times, I surpose i will go once and see. Glad your having a good time, many thanks for taking the time to post. :)) Gel

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Yes, I was disappointed to hear about 86HD as well -- I really liked it there last year and the year before. Just didn't have time to go there in the end.

Am not at all happy to be back in the UK and have caught myself surfing flight prices this morning!!

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Welcome home LGG, i always look for flights as soon as i get home LOL, I think beachfreakplymouth went to 86HD and said it was lovely, will try and ask her what she paid etc. have a good weekend Gel

Edited: 04 December 2009, 20:34
Ireland
1 post
8. Re: colva restaurants, etc

We're puzzled by comment about small portions and big prices at Henry's (86HD) in Betalbatim. We've returned a couple of times this year and find no change in either compared with a year ago. This can't be bad given that food inflation is reported as running at close to 20% in a year.

Quality, freshness and service are second to none and apart from some traffic noise due to location near a busy corner we rate the place as tops.

Luckyman

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: colva restaurants, etc

Well, that's nice to know, because I'm going back in February! I did say it was hearsay - from four or five people I know who live there. Glad to know you found otherwise though.

essex
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
10. Re: colva restaurants, etc

We went to 86HD 4 times on our recent holiday, (once with Beachfreak Plymouth!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The portions were fine, just right for us, Romeo & Sigi were great hosts, and as for the cost, it seemed OK to us, although as this was our first visit to Goa, we can not compare the prices to previous holidays there. We will certainly go again when we return in Feb!