We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Betalbatim

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Betalbatim

I've just walked up the beach from Colva to Betalbatim for about the fifth time. Most of the shacks in Betalbatim are now up, although not necessarily operational, but they were flooded last night because of the spring tides. The coastal erosion has meant that where there used to be a lovely, wide beach, there is now just a strip of sand with a very steep camber to the sea. I can't believe how much it's changed. They were, in a way, lucky that they hadn't put the shacks up when the cyclone hit, otherwise they would all have been washed away. A shack-owner friend of ours said last night that he thinks the waves will be lapping at the gate of the Nanu resort within five years.

I hope the shack allocation goes ahead this week, but I think they'll all be working anyway in a few days. It's a nightmare for them. I'm sure that the hotels are behind all this somewhere.

Sadly I have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning and come home (how fast can three weeks possibly pass?), but have had a great time. Will report properly when I'm back.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,046 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Betalbatim

Thanks for the update LGG, glad to hear you've had a great time and look forward to reading more when you get back. Enjoy your last day in Goa and make the most of the sunshine as it's very cold in the UK now - hope you packed your thermals for when you get off the plane lol.

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Betalbatim

Thanks LGG, good to hear that the shacks are up on Betalbatim beach. We are going to the Nanu next week and it's nice to know we won't have to walk so far to the sea - LOL :-)

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Betalbatim

Many thanks for the info LGG we will also be going to Betalbatim next week, its a real shame about the beach, but i'm sure we will manage somehow LOL have a safe journey home. Gel

Little Totham...
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Betalbatim

Thanks for the up-date LGG will also be at the Nanu next week - see you there Eurios.

HB

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Betalbatim

HB....this might turn into quite a party :-)....which flight are you on? We're on Thomson flight 10th from EMA. Already making arrangements to meet Gel, if you'd like to meet up too send me a pm and we'll have a beer or few together. Oooo...I can already imagine that sand between my toes...roll on next week...that reminds me, where did I put my malaria tabs...

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Betalbatim

Bring lots of mozzie repellant and antihistamine tabs and creams, and also hydrocortisone cream from Boots, helps with the itching.

Have been bitten on the legs like never before. We all think it is off the beach. Dont know what sort of insect, but boy do they itch.

Keep away from the greenery at the top of the dunes, we think its near here on the dry sand its worse.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Betalbatim

beachfreakplymouth thanks for the info, i hate being bitten, are you talking about night time or in the daytime,:)) Gel

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Betalbatim

Sounds like sandflies to me!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Betalbatim

Welcome back, LGG!!

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Betalbatim

Thanks. Am just about to crawl into bed as I've now been up for 24 hours. Came back on a half-empty Kingfisher flight via Bombay, so had two seats each. Still can't sleep on a day flight though!