We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning to All First time travellers

ireland
10 posts
Warning to All First time travellers

Just to warn any first time travellers.

Be wary and don't trust anyone, research all hotels and price of flights prior to arrival.

Do not have any dealngs with a travel company by the name of Backpacker Travel working out of the Starview Deluxe Hotel or Starview Paradise in the main Bazaar in Delhi, they are liars and cheats and will promise the world and deliver nothing, both those hotels are dirty and extremely run down.

The Hotel Sakett in Jaipur is also old, dirty and run down, we were charged 49 dollars a night and in fact they charge only 16 dollars a night.

The Maizon Lake View on Arpora Rd Goa is also old and dirty and in need of repair, the air conditioning is poor and the locks are insufficiant.

Do not let any travel agent book flights for you, deal with the airline yourself, we were overcharged by almost 600 dollars for our flights

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

I have been in sales supplying hotels and restaurants in the UK for the last 17 years and have been in hundreds of different kitchens and there are some fantastic ones but also some where I woudn't let my dog eat, traveling anywhere you should always research before you go. If you read comments on this forum Goa can be the most welcoming magical place on this planet i have travelled round most of europe been to canada and the States and I can honestly say goa is where I have had my best ever holidays. This year we have had a tough time and need to get away for a month we wanted a special place to get our heads together and where did we choose yes you guessed it Goa. So I am sorry you had a tough time but next time you holiday do your research as trust me you missed a great chance to experience a magical place p.s. the best time to travel to Goa is Nov-April

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
124 reviews
2. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

Keekee you are way way out of order so may people travel to India and Goa in particular and have a wonderful time how dare you with you small mindedness try and put people off experiencing what the majority consider an honour - dirt and all

i'm sorry you had bad experiences but have you heard of karma?????????

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
3. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

Dear Goanluv I was just waiting for your response and I am now grinning from ear to ear 16 days to go!!!

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

Getting toknow me already eh??? theres plenty of surprises yet to come!!!

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
5. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

I know this shoudn't be a chat forum but I remember on a French forum somebody reccomending a restaurant because it had English waiters not just English speaking French people to say my reply was sarcastic was an understatement i think it was along the lines of what not English speaking French people in France back to Blackpool or benidorm next year and chips eggs and beans!!! and the morale of the story if anyone else reads this is travel but enjoy the culture and realise that the of the whole world is not Britain.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
124 reviews
6. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

tightjock how right you are - would we really want another country in theworld like the UK??

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

Tightjock, where would you advise to stay in Goa, we want somewhere luxurious, five star if possible. Where would you say is the nicest place?

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
8. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

I havn't stayed there but have next door (and have parasailed from there) and I don't think you could go wrong with the Leela Though read the reviews on various hotels on the website. If you want luxury but still want to see Goa I wouldn't stay in the Intercontinental as it is pretty isolated (about an hours drivr before you start going anywhere)We are staying in Haathi Mahal (4 star) Nov 12th for 4 weeks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

there are a number of hotels which are 5 star

1. The Leela

2. Taj Exotica

3. Taj Aguada

4. Taj Holiday Village

5. Hyatt

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
74 reviews
10. Re: Warning to All First time travellers

Hi this our first time this year and i have not seen any one post bad info regarding Goa it has made my holiday to come the best thing i have looked forward to in years only five weeks to go!! But i did reasearch well before i booked and am looking forward to the difference Goa will show me... culture, orange dust, cows wandering, children trying to gett treats for doing tricks, and the wonderful sea the list could go on and on. Clearly you have to excercise common sense and caution as you do going anywhere even uk places (got pickpocketed in skipton market Yorkshire)

So we should embrace the differences and enjoy! I know I will!