We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in the South

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Prices in the South

I've read several times that taxis are more expensive in the south...does this extend to other things such as scooter rental, food and drink etc? I know what to pay for stuff in the north so is it just a case of haggling or can I genuinely expect to pay more?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices in the South

Eurios, we stayed in the South for 3 nights from a two week holiday, earlier this year. We didn't notice any difference in prices at all! Obviously, some shacks were slightly more expensive than others, but even the taxis and tuktuks seemed to cost about the same as the North.

Susie.x

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices in the South

Food and drink I would have said was roughly the same everywhere. It's just the taxi drivers I think are expensive! I was shocked in February to pay roughly what I would have expected to pay in London for a similar distance.

surrey
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices in the South

When they were not on strike last year taxi drivers were demanding a minimum fare of 150Rps even for short trips.....they were not very busy!

Also much dearer returning to the airport.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices in the South

Yes, I agree that the taxis are a lot more expensive - certainly in Cavelossim. We found the taxi fare back from Agonda to Cavelossim was considerably cheaper than on the way there. Can't say we noticed that much difference in the price of food and drink though.

surrey
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices in the South

IWe found food and drink similar prices as wll Gemma but better quality especially at the old Riverview

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices in the South

Thanks guys, that's helped a lot...I think the 'greedy' taxi thing is quite widespread. Last year we stayed in Arpora and the quoted fares varied a lot. For instance we were quoted as little as 80 rps and as much as 200rps for the same short evening ride to Calangute. It pays to haggle with them.

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices in the South

Thanks guys, that's helped a lot...I think the 'greedy' taxi thing is quite widespread. Last year we stayed in Arpora and the quoted fares varied a lot. For instance we were quoted as little as 80 rps and as much as 200rps for the same short evening ride to Calangute. It pays to haggle with them.

surrey
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices in the South

The difference is the taxi drivers in the north try it on....the ones in the south mean it! thats the best way I can describe it.

sussex
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices in the South

absolutely correct blobb

surrey
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices in the South

We also found we walked a lot as they charged a minimum 150Rps just for a short ride. They did us a favour though because of their strike they forced us onto the buses..great experience and about the only time you get charged the same as the locals and they are so cheap! I think Cavelossim to Margao is 10Rps amazing prices.