We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa or Kerala?

caljam74
5 posts
Goa or Kerala?

Hi there,

In January I have a week to kill in India, and can't make up my mind if I should spend it in Goa or Kerala.

Can anyone recommend what their preferred option would be?

I'm in the process of recovering from a broken ankle, so looking primarily for a relaxing holiday destination that doesn't require heavy walking, and has interesting things to do other than stay on a beach for the full week. Any recommendations outside of Kerala and Goa always welcome.

Cheers,

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Goa or Kerala?

If you want to relax on the beach then I would go for Goa. Although Kerala has sunbeds on the beach, it doesn't have the shacks which are a big part of the Goan beach experience.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Goa or Kerala?

For a relaxing week, i'd chose south goa, north can be hectic. i've been to kerala but i definatly prefer goa. just a matter of taste really.

as said before, plenty of beach shacks in goa, none in kerala.

so in goa you can sit on the beach, usually on a free sun bed, with all your food and drink catered for by the shack that you chose to lounge in front of.

BOB.

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
3. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Hi

In my opinion Kerala but everyone has thier own opinion and rules. Those who frequent Goa will say Goa and likewise for Kerala. I have never been to Goa so my opinion is only based on my experience of Kerala. I have know people who have been to both and loved or hated it.

HOWEVER, it depends if you want a package holiday or a DIY as some Charter companies have pulled out of Kerala. NOT all countries/companies and I cannot comment on your country as it's not listed in your profile.

Regards

Paul

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
4. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Slight TYPO:-

Not sure where the 'and rules' came from so ignore that.

Paul

Happy Children's Home - Helper

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Goa or Kerala?

For pure relaxation I would suggest the very far north of Goa, ie Mandrem Beach, you can read my review of the Mandrem Beach Resort on tripadvisor. 3 kilometers of beautiful beach with the usual Goa beach shacks and a small village with just an assortment of restaurants for the evenings. Things to do at Mandrem apart from the beach are, morning Yoga, Spice Garden Visit, Wednesday and Saturday night tourist markets, Mapusa Friday locals market, Old Goa for the Cathedrals and Basilica built in the 1500's now a UNESCO world heritage site and a day trip to Panjim, the capital of Goa. There are good taxi drivers at Mandrem and the local shop has set the prices so we can't be ripped off. I regularly go to Kerala which is very different to Goa. The beaches are not a patch on Goa but in a week you can have a bit of beach at Varkala, move further north to Allepey and have an overnight rice boat trip, move onto Cochin which is very historic and spend a couple of days there sightseeing. I would just say that you need to move around more in Kerala to see stuff whereas in Goa you can take day trips from your chosen hotel. Hope this helps.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Is it still difficult to get an alcoholic drink in Kerala? If it is, that would be the big advantage of Goa for me.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Believe you can still get alocoholic drinks - shorts in ordinary glasses but beers may be in a teapot - with cups! :)

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
8. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Hi

Yes you can still get alcohol and shorts - although I am a non drinker. I have never personally seen beer served in a teapot only a mug with the beer bottle wrapped in paper placed on the floor, away from sight of the prom. I would, however, like to know where they still serve beer in a teapot just out of curiosity.

Regards

Paul

Happy Children's Home - Helper

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
146 reviews
9. Re: Goa or Kerala?

Hi,

We've been to Kerala and Goa many times and love both. Goa is more developed as a tourist destination, is busier and can seem 'more western'.

For a beach-based holiday in southern Kerala, Kovalam and Varkala are very popular and most activities/entertainment is centred around the beach. Many restaurants line Lighthouse Beach at Kovalam, but there are no 'proper' bars per se.

Local licensing laws are more strict than in Goa and most restaurants are closed by midnight. Being less developed and more 'off the beaten track', I would suggest that Kerala has less to offer in the way of days (rather than overnight/3-4 day trips) out than Goa but you could take the train to Cochi, go into Trivandrum, take a taxi up into the tea plantations in the mountains or do a houseboat trip on a riceboat on the backwaters.

I would say if you want 'more chilled', then Kerala - more lively, then Goa. With just a week available both will offer opportunities for a bit of exploring as well as relaxing.

Have a great time wherever you choose!

Ben

10. Re: Goa or Kerala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2010, 09:46