We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handbags and Gladrags.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Handbags and Gladrags.

Hi everyone, on the brink of starting to get excited about our two week break at the good old Holiday Inn in November.Quite interested in purchasing a bag or two but wondered if those in the know could lead me in the right direction.Last year i noticed an interesting shop in Cavellosim village crammed to the rafters with bags but was too faint hearted to go in.Its the one near a chemist and the dentist and lies opposite the Haathi.Any feedback on that shop or others much appreciated,as always,Love Sallyx

Private Full-Day All-Inclusive Tour...
10 Reviews
from US$ 60.00*
Temples of Goa, led by Archaeologist
from US$ 150.00*
Free Cancellation
London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

In November last year and again in January I bought some lovely bags from a shop next to Mikes Place - with the pink dentist either directly above or next door. It is not packed to the rafters but as you walk into the shop all the bags/purses are on the right hand side - I think the shop owners name is Gulzar. When we went in there, we could just browse at leisure and were under no pressure at all. I shall certainly be popping back in this November!!

Mentioned in this post
Mike's Place
Mike's Place
544 Reviews
Cavelossim, India
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

Personally, I think the best place to buy bags in Cavelossim is at Saga - they sell HiDesign handbags and purses at about a third of the UK price in Selfridges or John Lewis. HiDesign is a Pondicherry based company, uses top quality leathers, all naturally tanned, using vegetable dyes, classy designs with a modern edge, ethical principles too. There's also a HiDesign shop in Panjim that also sells divine leather jackets too.

The shop you mention is, as you say, packed to the rafters and they seem to do quite nice bags there although I always stick to HiDesign in India (and the felted wool Nepalese bags in Palolem - you can also get at Anjuna Market). There's a very good beach bag seller down at the Holiday Inn end - not mad about the fake bags but the plain bags are good quality and look classy.

As you mention gladrags too, if sparkly sandals count, you may wish to have a look in the upstairs section of Jai Patel's shop (same block as the shop you mention, closer to the dentist)! More glittery sandals than you can shake a proverbial stick in the direction of...

There's also a bag shop just past the turn off to the Goan Village & Mike's restaurant. Again, I've not bought anything there but some British people people who used to work in Goa thought the bags were good quality there.

Do be careful about buying fakes - I'm not going to start on the child labour, criminal connections etc but will mention only the much commented upon posting on this forum about a month ago concerning HMRC's reported crackdown on fake goods coming back into the UK. It is a criminal offence to bring back any counterfeit goods - check HMRC's website for further information.

Mentioned in this post
Cavelossim
Cavelossim
South Goa District, India
Pondicherry
Pondicherry
Union Territory of Pondicherry, India
Panjim
Panjim
North Goa District, India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Anjuna Market
Anjuna Market
1,022 Reviews
Anjuna, India
Goa
Goa
India
sussex
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

Hi Sally,We are back to the Holiday Inn in January for the 16th time. Always treat myself to a new handbag. We use the beach shacks at lunch times, Mikes, Sams etc. There is a bag seller who visits the Shacks called Sheik been there for years. I can reccommend him for service and prices. If he has not got what you want he will get it.Also good for wallets,purses,belts etc. Will be envious thinking of you in November, enjoy.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
294 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

Hi the handbag shop in the street is called MUSK, the bags are good quality i have brought several. Also sheik at Mikes beach shack are pretty good as well.

Mentioned in this post
Mikes Beach Shack
Mikes Beach Shack
308 Reviews
Cavelossim, India
derbyshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

Thankyou everyone,as always a mine of information very gratefully received.Love Sallyx

Glasgow
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

Hi

I think there were two bag shops a couple of shops apart, across from the Hathi. My wife has bought quite a few from the one that was nearer the D'mello end of the block. She thought the one nearer the dentist was very good quality, but quite a bit more expensive. She has also bought shed loads from Sheik in the shacks at the HI end of the beach. Sheik is also very helpful in getting anything you are having trouble finding in the shops, like phone unlocking, batteries etc.

We are flying back to Goa in two days:-)

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
7. Re: Handbags and Gladrags.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2010, 11:49