We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Something I've thought about for a while now. We all love sitting in a shack having a cold drink and perhaps something nice to eat. Alot of the shacks are pretty basic and I just wondered how they washed glasses plates etc. A mate of mine said he was at a beach bar in turkey when he saw the barman quickly swilling a glass picked up off the beach in dirty water before using it again. We all avoid the water in India so what do they do at the shacks?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Sometimes Scousemat, you are better off not thinking about these things or you would never leave home! All I can say is that I wont be giving up my honeybee!!..lol..

Susie.x

Leeds
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Hi Scousemat,

just take some antibacterial hand wash or buy it over there, for use after toilets and prior to eating etc, just be as vigilant as posssible.

Try to chillout, most people we spoke to were fine. Plenty of chemists about for the odd tummy bug.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Certainly like the sound of honeybee!!!

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Something I've thought about for a while now. We all love sitting in a shack having a cold drink and perhaps something nice to eat. Alot of the shacks are pretty basic and I just wondered how they washed glasses plates etc. A mate of mine said he was at a beach bar in turkey when he saw the barman quickly swilling a glass picked up off the beach in dirty water before using it again. We all avoid the water in India so what do they do at the shacks

OK - I will be shot down in flames for saying this but we do not eat in shacks - ever. They get the water from a well somewhere near to the shack and they use the same mucky water all day to wash the the plates etc.

Just run you finger along your plate and you will have a really greasy mark along it - along with all the bacteria.

This is why people get Delly Belly and when you go to Johnys chemist you do not have to say any more than - I have a runny something - and he gets a kit out from under the counter - they expect it.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Anti bac hand wash is cheaper in Goa - Himalaya is a good one

London, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

i eat in beach shacks for 6 months of the year and i didnt get delly belly this year.in panjim we also had meals in local restuarants as well as upmarket ones and was not ill with tummy troubles.but thier again i dont eat meat.

some well water is safe to drink,although i wouldnt reccomend this,so i assume it is safe to wash up in.most of the shacks are now connected to the mains along the candolim-baga area.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

same as ,veggiehead,in several months spent in goan beach shacks we never had the slightest tummy troubles ever .no meat for us also ..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

Like Vegie & Music, have always been okay in beach shacks and elsewhaere. Don't eat meat anyway and very fussy about which shacks I eat in - generally in Cavelossim I stick to Mike's and sometimes Betty's at the Holiday Inn/Leela end of the beach. They both have the best loos with handwash facilities too - there are plenty of shacks in Cavlossim that I wouldn't choose to eat at but people I know have eaten there without incident.

Second Jeera's comments about Himalaya Herbals hand gel - I buy the 500ml size and decant into smaller bottles. Huge fan of hand gel for many years now & apply it frequently and liberally. I even bring back the 500ml size and apply it after travelling on the tube (which is always a fairly grubby experience!).

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

In all the years I've been going to Goa, I've been ill once and my husband's been in twice. On all three occasions we'd eaten in decent restaurants rather than shacks.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cleaning glasses etc HYGENE!!!

As Susieque says, sometimes your best not knowing. If you haven't been ill then carry on. A few years ago at the beach shack we go to, my mate was having a laugh with some of the lads who worked there, he followed them into the back where the kitchen was, when he came out his face was a picture he said "if you went in there you wouldn't eat here again". We still go to the same shack and can say we've never had a bad stomach.