We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine prices

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
wine prices

How much is a glass or bottle of wine? I know beer is cheap enough.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine prices

All wine overpriced across India - more expensive than UK, especially if imported because duty is very high. Much as I adore a glass of wine, I don't bother there (on one occasion broke the rule and had stupidly expensiive bottle of champagne at Oberoi Hotel overlooking Taj Majal, very appropriate to the nighttime view to the Taj Mahal however!!) and stick to beer, water and tea by day, gin and tonic by night. Large beer's about a quid a bottle, gin & tonic less.

Domestic wime not all that - there's one particular brand that my friends in Delhi buy in industrial quantities as they say it's just about drinkable(think it's produced somewhere in the Himalayas)! They dream about good French wine and reminisce about how cheap it was in London ...

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine prices

I think the last time we had a bottle of wine, it was about £12. if i were in england, i would have taken it back to the shop for a refund!!!!eerrrggghh.

BOB.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine prices

Sula and Grovers are two brands that are perfectly drinkable - red and white. They cost about 350-400 in the supermarkets/liquor stores and anything up to about 1200 in restaurants. If I can't get either of those, I stick to beer or gin.

Fylde Coast...
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine prices

Madera red is perfectly drinkable, Rs220 in the off licence - Madera white is the same price but needs to be served very cold then it's okay. I don't mind Vin Ballet either but you don't see that as much now for some reason.

I wouldn't pay for over priced inmported wine in Restaurants - just not worth it.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine prices

I've seen Jacobs Creek for 450Rps in Palolem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: wine prices

there is one in the shops but cant remember the name.they do a red and a white its palatable and i think its 160rs a bottle take out.xaviers has it in candolim.we normally drink madeira.

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wine prices

Try Sula Samara red. At only £2 a bottle last season, it was actually quite nice. Far superior to Madera in my opinion.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wine prices

That's £2 in supermarket,how much local wine (£) in restaurants?

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wine prices

Flyods Hut in candolim was selling Sula Samara for 300 rupees, around £4. Most other reasonable Indian wines would be double this. I think I remember seeing Madera for around 400-450 rupees, but I am not fond of it, so did not pay too much attention.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wine prices

when we were there 8 years ago you could get a wine called Golconda. it was great - does anyone know if this is stil available?

regards

Sharon