We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all travellers to Goa who smoke

london
4 posts
Save Topic
Calling all travellers to Goa who smoke

I am going to Calangute, Goa at Christmas and have recently heard of a smoking ban over there - can anyone let me know if this is true, how bad is the ban and any way of having a sneaky smoke? all help will be very appreciated - thanks

Mentioned in this post
Calangute
Calangute
North Goa District, India
Watford England
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all travellers to Goa who smoke

Don't worry about that one mate. There is officially a smoking ban but it is not enforced. having said that I don't suggest you go up to the local police and ask for a light. The bars are all supposed to have no smoking signs up or they can be fined but they also have ashtrays on every table. Like a friend pointed out to me, its difficult to enforce when the beach police stop every 300yds and light up themselves. Have fun mate

Steve

england
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all travellers to Goa who smoke

Skippy,

The ban has been in place for some years but they really did try to enforce it everywhere last season. Rs100/- fine if you get caught by a policeman, but don't worry they can't confiscate your cigs!!!

It's not the smokers that they try to catch out it's the bar/restaurant owners. If someone's smoking on your premises and you don't have NO SMOKING signs up, you'll be fined, and it's a lot more than RS100/- If the signs are up then it's the smoker that pays the price.

Goldenflipflop