We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

internet access advice - got a laptop and mobile

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
4 reviews
internet access advice - got a laptop and mobile

Hi

I might need to have internet access when i'm away, and i have arranged to have access to a laptop and a mobile in case of an emergency, all i need to provide is the sim card.

I've heard you can buy PAYGO sim cards and put them in an unlocked phone.

I need some advice on this

How much is the sim card?

How much is the data costs/top up etc per MB/Day

What connections are in GOA for mobiles: EDGE, HSDPA (3G etc)

I need to have an idea of cost for a setup, and what this will give me

Thanks

Mark

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: internet access advice - got a laptop and mobile

Fast internet connections are pretty thin on the ground in India but have a look at this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k2…

I bought a Tata Indicom connection in December from the little shop near the post office in Calangute, the guy there is very helpful. I think the connection cost me around £35 but this included the USB modem and the sim card. I used the internet almost every day for 2 weeks for at least a couple of hours at a time and didn't need to top it up so I can't advise regarding running costs.

Mine is a dial up connection but I am hoping to be able to boost the speed for my next trip by using the GPRS on my mobile once I have worked out how to do it. My dial up connection was a lot slower than using the internet cafe which I had to resort to sometimes.

From what I know, the only proper broadband service is from a BSNL landline. I don't think 3G has made it there yet.

2. Re: internet access advice - got a laptop and mobile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 06:48