We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria tablets

goa
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
malaria tablets

Can anyone advise me how to take chloroquine and prguanil tablets, i got them from goa last time we were on holiday. The problem is i didnt get any instructions from the pharmacist and i have forgot how to take what and when before i go next week. Any advise would be appreciated. Patricia,Goa

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria tablets

Chloroquine two tablets weekly, proguanil two tablets daily. Start a week before you go and carry on for a month after you get back.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria tablets

Also they tend to have less side effects if you take them with food.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria tablets

Well we have been a few times but not for a few years. Last time we were there we had bad side effects to the daily ones but carried on taking them silly not to.

recently some friends came back and had bought us some chloroquine (6 each) and said just one weekly all that is needed doesnt seem right to me but cannot remember. Can anyone shed any light, or am I just saving myself some money on this particular tablet??

Berkshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria tablets

It depends on the strength of the tablets. I have some Chloroqinne tablets that contain Chloroquine Phosphate 500mg. I understand that you should take only 1 tablet weekly. I will look at the BNF book and check in the morning when I go to work. I am a mental health nurse, so no real expert when it comes to anything medical!

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria tablets

Thanks muzzer,

Never thought of looking in the BNF I am a LD nurse!!!!!!They do contain phosphate 500mg, so hopefully just one a week then bargain!!!! Hated them last time.

goa
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria tablets

hello. thankyou for your help on the malaria tablets

i was thrilled at everyone's rapid response on this matter. It really does go to show how important it is to take this medication. thankyou all. patricia.goa

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria tablets

According to the NHS website on malaria (which I temporarily can't find the link to), chloroquine and paludrine work well IN COMBINATION to combat malaria in Goa, but not on their own.

I don't know why the pharmacists in Goa recommend just the one.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria tablets

And my doctor said the said thing, for some reason they work well in combination.

London, United...
Level Contributor
441 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria tablets

From the HPA website:

Over late December 2006 and early January 2007, four cases of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in travellers who visited northern Goa have been reported from three European countries. The travellers had visited beach resorts north of Panaji.

In recent years, numbers of malaria cases reported from India have been low and decreasing, so that most advisors, including the ACMP, have ceased recommending chemoprophylaxis for visitors to low-risk regions. This cluster of cases has coincided with increased rainfall in the affected region.

ACMP advises that travel advisors should highlight the risk of malaria, instruct on the use of mosquito bite avoidance measures, and recommend malaria chemoprophylaxis to those travellers who will be visiting Goa, particularly areas north of Panaji, who will be remote from medical care. This advice remains in effect until further notice as the situation is clarified.

The recommended chemoprophylaxis is chloroquine plus proguanil. Alternatives are mefloquine, atovaquone plus proguanil (Malarone ®) or doxycycline.

All travellers to Goa should use mosquito bite avoidance measures and be aware of the risk of malaria.

An early review of this advice will be made, based on surveillance for malaria cases.

All travellers should seek medical attention promptly if they become unwell and inform their doctor that they have been in a malarious area. The healthcare worker should consider malaria in every ill patient who has recently returned from the tropics and for those with a fever on return from the tropics the illness should be considered to be malaria until proven otherwise.

Last reviewed: 8 December 2008

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Berkshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: malaria tablets

Just had a look at the BNF it is very important not to overdose on Chloroqinne as it is very toxic if you take too much. Treatment of a Chloroqinne overdose is very difficult to treat. So please do not get the tablets confused if you are taking two types together. Chloroqinne should be taken as one tablet weekly. This information is in the BNF, but I would check with your doc or pharmacist to be sure.