We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking of going

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
thinking of going

thinking of going to goa, next year, could anyone tell me what time of year is the best time to go?

which is resort is the best?

coud anyone recommend a good hotel? dont have to be the best as we like to get out and about

whose the best to book with to get a good deal?

thanks for all your help in advance

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking of going

The season lasts from the beginning of November to the end of April. The monsoon is during the summer months.

Resort? Depends on what you want really. North is more lively than the south. The south tends to have the better (4*+) hotels. You will need to select your resort before you get recommendations for hotels.

Prices vary depending on time of year, Christmas and New Year are very expensive so avoid those unless you really have no choice.

There are essentially only two tour operators these days and most of the travel companies tend to be owned by one or the other. Jewel in the Crown is independent (I think!), you can find them on www.jewelholidays.com

My suggestion would be to get a couple of brochures from your local travel agent and have a bit of a browse to get a feel for the place.

You will also need a visa in advance, around £35 including fees, per person.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking of going

You can also try Thomas Cook, Thomsons/Portland Direct, First Choice, Somak, Kuoni etc.

As Katy says, the north is considerably busier than the south, so it depends what sort of holiday you're looking for. November to the end of January IMHO are the best months to go as it starts getting a bit humid after that and certainly March/April time is too hot and humid for me, although other people cope with the heat better than I do!

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking of going

we would like to experience the best there is in goa, like a place where theres night life and restaurants, we were thinking candolim

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking of going

Hi - I would recommend Candolim especially for a first visit. The best time to go depends on what you prefer, Nov/Dec/Jan Hot and sunny during the day but cooler on an night, Feb starts hotting up and getting warmer on a night, Mar/April hot during the day and hot and humid at night. We have stayed at various hotels in Candolim, some good some not so good. The ones I would recommend are as follows:-

Sunset Beach Hotel - available through Thomas Cook good friendly family run hotel and in a good location, close to the beach and bars and restaurants.

Highland Beach Resort - available through most tour operators, this is a much larger hotel set just off the main road in Candolim, very central location with plenty of restaurants etc close by.

Silver Sands - available through First Choice, Jewel in the Crown and Olympic, if you book this hotel I would try for a superior room or a bungalow as the standard rooms are very basic, great location 2 min walk to the beach and plenty bars and restaurants close by.

Sunshine Park - available through Olympic, this hotel is set slightly off the beaten track but still within walking distance to the beach and restaurants etc. nice friendly hotel if a little bit basic.

I would recommend getting the Thomas Cook Tropical Shores brochure and also the First Choice/Thomsons and Olympic brochures and have a good look through, then go on their websites and compare prices.

We have been going to Candolim since November 2000 and will be returning at Christmas for our 12th visit. Hope the above info is of help.

Good luck in choosing your holiday.

DebyC

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking of going

thankyou very much that is really helpful, thanks for the time and effort you have made for me, really lovely of you

6. Re: thinking of going

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 15:48