We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

would like to do this in november,anyone with any advice regarding this would be most welcome.

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
1. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

We did this trip a few years ago with Daytrippers and would highly recommend it. Sorry, not clever enough to be able to post the link for their website but I am sure somebody else will!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
104 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

Apparently by train the journey is out of this world.Thinking of flying to Mumbai in Oct then getting the train to Goa

http://www.konkanrailway.com/

Heres the website regarding the train journey....let us know what u plan!

Richie

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,969 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

we did this trip with daytripper by train both ways and it was brilliant, at least do the train one way, its an experience not to be missed. The hotel in Mumbai wasnt up to much and the people that ate there said the food was poor but we were fine with the hotel, it was clean, we didnt eat there, we asked the guide and he recommended a couple of good restaurants where the food was good and amazingly cheap, much cheaper than Goa. Leopolds was one, its not a tourist restaurant, very busy, very noisy and very India, we loved every minute of this trip. I am sure if you do it yourself you will get it a lot cheaper than daytripper but having a guide, particularly when you arrive at the station in Mumbai which is extremely busy and the tour it was well worth the money. I would highly recommend it.

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
4. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

I agree with dragonfli, as I said before we initially did the trip with daytrippers, since then we have been to Bombay/Mumbai quite a few times arranging it ourselves but would definitely advise going on an arranged trip for the first time. Would also highly recommend Leopolds. Read the book Shantaram to learn more about Leopolds and Bombay!!!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

Les

I think I also replied to your post on HT website advising you to pre-book with Dytrippers.

Their trip is on the overnight train into Mumbai, leaving about 18:30 from the station near Mapusa (can't remember the name).

It's in air-conditioned 3 tier sleeper, don't expect privacy. Blanket, pillow and 2 sheets are supplied.

I slept fairly well, the other lady in our party said she laid awake all night clutching her handbag, expecting to be robbed or molested. LOL

We chatted with some Indian guys in the bunks opposite us until it was time for bed.

You can order food on the train and can get drinks too.

This train is uaually pretty full.

Arrive in Mumbai around 06:00 and go to the hotel for a freshen up.

The hotel Daytrippers used for our trip was ok, on the seafront, a few hundred yards up from the Gateway of India.

Return train journey is at 06:00, this wasn't very full at all.

One couple from our tour decided to pay extra to fly back but we enjoyed the leisurely journey through the countryside.

bingley
Level Contributor
32 posts
6. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

How much does the trip to Mumbai cost by train (return) and where did you book?

Arpora, India
Level Contributor
313 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

hi all just looked the trip up on daytripper it costs £119 from friday till monday over night sleeper and 2 nights in hotel and sounds good we are going to give it a try. look it up at daytrippergoa.com its called bombay dreams, happy traveling.

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

does anyone know (whos used daytrippers)if you can do the train on way there and then fly back, thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,969 posts
119 reviews
9. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

I'd not heard about that book Steph but I will definately be getting that, just asked my daughter to get me a copy. Just a couple of other things about the train, there is a constant procession of people selling chilled water and drinks, tea, coffee, crisps, sweets, sandwiches, samosas etc. so you dont need to lug anything with you. Daytripper recommended we took a packed meal but the curry they served looked very appetising, it comes hot or hotter I believe. The AC sleeper can get a bit chilly. Take toilet paper and hand wipes. Do walk along the train and take a look at the kitchens, they are incredible, all the food is prepared on the train and seeing people frying samosas in woks filled with bubbling oil on a rocking train is just too much!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,969 posts
119 reviews
10. Re: anyone done the bombay excursion from goa?

Les their site is www.daytrippergoa.com you will find all their trips and prices there. If they dont, they may well be able to accomodate you.