We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi belly in Goa?

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
35 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi belly in Goa?

I would love to go to Goa but my husband is not a big fan India. He has been quite a lot to Dehli and is especially afraid of getting food poisoned (again...). I try to convince him and say that the risk of having to spend the holiday in the bathroom is much less in Goa than in Delhi. I, who have never been to India, also say that it is a bit cleaner and less chaotic than the rest of thr country? Am I right or is he?

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi belly in Goa?

I'm not sure about the cleaner bit, but it is generally less frantic than a lot of other bits of India - Delhi being a prime example. I've been 14 or 15 times and I've only ever been ill once - and that was after eating in an extremely posh restaurant. If you take normal precautions you should be absolutely fine. Drink bottled water, don't have ice in your drinks, don't eat salads or any fruit you can't peel yourself - that sort of thing. The beach shacks are normally a pretty good bet for fresh food and I'd put money on the food there being fresher than it is in a lot of the hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Stockport, Cheshire
Level Contributor
426 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi belly in Goa?

Some more tips:

Take a small bottle of alcohol rub with you to clean your hands every now and again when out and when eating.

Go to any chemist on your first day and tell them you have 'Dehli Belly', they'll sell you a strip of small yellow tablets for around 10p. Take one at the first sign of an upset stomach and carry round with you at all times!

Also handy to buy is a packet or 2 of 'salts' which you make up with water and drink if you get dehyrated.

Drink loads of water just before you go to bed, doesn't matter how many times you need to get up in the night to wee, just make sure you're hydrated.

Enjoy.!

Mike.

3. Re: Delhi belly in Goa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:46