We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free

england
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
duty free

we normally stop off at bahrain airport and get our fags on the way back however as flying with first choice it is a direct flight home.i know everyone,s hand luggage gets searched coming out of goa and was wondering if we brought more than 200 fags at goa airport they would be taken off us.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free

For some reason the hand luggage wasnt being searched last week. But the searches are usually before duty free. After that you might get another stamp or two, but I can't think of anyone likely to be counting your fags.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free

We got stopped at Gatwick for a search on the way back from Goa on our first trip. Only time we've ever been stopped from anywhere. Fortunately we weren't over the limit. I know people that have exceeded the limit but I'm too much of a 'good girl' to risk being over!

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free

They don't mind how many fags they sell you at Dabolim airport's duty free, it's when you enter this country that you have to be careful, remember if you get stopped on your return, you are only allowed 200 each so if you get caught you will be charged duty.

DebyC

Scotland
Level Contributor
417 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free

You may not be charged duty, sometimes they confiscate all of the goods over your limit.

Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free

That's true it happened to a friend of mine coming back from Tenerife.

england
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free

cheers thanks for that,first year i went to goa got my fags at goa airport then everyone was getting there bags searched after duty free lucky i did,nt get mine done,last year had flight via bahrain so got them there instead,this time i have a direct flight with first choice.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free

As far as I'm aware not everyone's hand luggage gets searched when leaving Goa. As you leave the departure lounge to board your flight, they have about 4 or 5 tables and collar people as they go past. Most people aren't searched.

The problem would be when you come back into the UK.

The limit is 200 cigarettes per person and if you're unlucky enough to get stopped (sometimes customs is deserted, when we came back into Gatwick last Sunday evening they were stopping people and searching luggage), I think they can confiscate goods AND fine/prosecute.

Polly

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free

When we flew back on 3rd Dec everybody that had hand luggage had their bag searched before they could board the plane.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free

I think it just goes to show that nothing is standard in Goa.

We flew back on Sunday 9th December and they stopped my hubby and checked his hand baggage but I wasn't stopped.

Mind you, there were 3 flights all going out at the same time (we were delayed by almost 2 hours) and they'd called the MyTravel flight for boarding, but then called ours too (as well as the Thompson one) and when we went through the gate, they'd held the MyTravel passengers back just outside the gate.

So maybe they were just eager to get us on our way as they'd already got an incoming Monarch flight waiting for a empty stand.

In the 7 times we've been to Goa, I think my hand luggage has only been searched once.

Polly

10. Re: duty free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 16:51