We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Jabs do we need?????

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What Jabs do we need?????

Goa in April 2008, does anyone have any jabs / anti-malaria advice please???? Any other advice would be tops too!!!! And how long will i wait for Visas by postal application???

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

You are really best to ask your doctor as there are many daft and varying opinions here. from eating marmite to taking pills for malaria.

And the advice can change very quickly so the doc knows best when it comes to jabs.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

Indeed, please do speak to your local health centre - but basic ones you need are tetanus, polio, typhoid and hep C.

Alisha's right - you'll probably get lots of advice telling you that marmite sandwiches will keep the mozzies away. Incidence of malaria is growing in Goa, and IMHO it's just not sensible to go there without anti-malarials. Your health centre or your local chemist will tell you which ones you need. You only have to get one bite from one infected mosquito...

You can buy mozzie repellent in Goa, but I don't find it works very well for me, so I generally take Jungle Formula or something similar with DEET in it from the UK. What you can buy in Goa though is a spray for the room and one of those plug-in thingies.

I'm a bit neurotic because the mozzies smell me getting off the plane and don't leave me alone until I get back on it again, but even with all the precautions I take, I still get bitten from time to time.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

Hi

You can drink gin and tonic water as an anti malarial. the quinnine in it is much less than it was so you need to drink 9 litres a day with a splash of your spirit of choice (about 4.5 litres. )Dont'forget, that's every day. Probably best to start the treatment two weeks before you go.

Of course you could always see the doc for more conventional treatments

Jeff

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

I'm sorry Jeff - you've left out the vital ingredient - the two dozen marmite sandwiches - also every day, but from two weeks before you leave ;-)

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

Pressed send before I meant to...

The vitamin B tablets (daily for the rest of your life), several pints of beer (any sort as long as it's got brewer's yeast in it), and wash yourself in Avon showergel.

And mozzies go for people with smelly feet, so take lots of foot deodorant...

Oh look, there go those flying pigs again...

6. Re: What Jabs do we need?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 17:48