We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South or North Goa?

France
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
South or North Goa?

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to India next Feb and would like to spend some time in Goa.

Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of both north and south Goa ie, beaches,sightseeing,restaurants,shopping etc?

Thanks

Fran

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: South or North Goa?

I preferred the beaches in the south (we stayed in Cavelossim) as they are not as crowded as the north though if you stay in the main northern resorts of Baga, Calangute or Candolim you can get a taxi to the quieter beaches further north. Re sightseeing, most of the main attractions are in central Goa anyway so can easily be reached from either north or south Goa. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and shacks in both (depending where you stay in the south). It all depends how busy you want it really. If you like it really busy you're probably better going to the north, if you prefer it a bit quieter you'll be better in the south.

France
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: South or North Goa?

Thanks Gemma,

I do prefer quiet, as long as busy is not too far away. Just out of interest, how long would it take from north to south by car?

Thanks

Fran

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: South or North Goa?

Depends where exactly you want to go but it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: South or North Goa?

Also if you decided to stay in Cavelossim it's not very quiet, just quieter than the north. There are probably a dozen beach shacks and a good selection of restaurants to choose from plus numerous shops, including quite a large Saga store.

France
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: South or North Goa?

Thanks Gemma....what is a Saga store, I assume it is not a travel firm for the over 60's ;)

Fran

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,036 posts
398 reviews
6. Re: South or North Goa?

It's a dept store that sells genuine designer clothes etc. as oposed to genuine fakes lol

p.s. I have posted a few pics of our last couple of trips to Cavelossim on http://www.flickr.com/photos/goanjock/ should give you an idea of the area

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
86 reviews
7. Re: South or North Goa?

lol Fran. Saga store is definitely not just for the over 60s. Large airconditioned store with good selection of goods as Goanjock says. I bought some designer sunglasses for about 20 quid. Makes a change to have a pair that don't fall to bits by the end of the holiday!

France
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: South or North Goa?

Goanjock,

Thank you so much for letting me see your wonderful snaps.

I loved the ones of Goa and some of the others brought back lovely memories for me...Rome, Paris even Blackpool!

You have a wonderful family Jock.

Regards

Fran

9. Re: South or North Goa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 17:50