We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alor Grande

midlands
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Alor Grande

Hi,

I will be staying at the alor grande in candolim in Nov and have just read the reports on this site re how disgusting it is.

I now feel really disapointed and no longer looking forward to it. Is there anyone out there that has any good experiences of this hotel?.

Thanks

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

Seems that there are very mixed views about The Alor Grande.

Why not make your fears and the reasons known to your travel agent

before its too late.

midlands
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
2. Re: Alor Grande

From past experience i know it's virtually impossible to change accomodation without a huge cost implication.

The other problem is that we are a party of 7 women and one man so the likely hood would be that we wouldn't get accomodation all together.

Thanks for the advice though.

Essex
Level Contributor
304 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Alor Grande

Try to get rooms overlooking the pool - they are supposed to be the "best". We stayed there for two years - it is very basic and in our experience quite noisy, particulalry because it is popular with the local Indians and Russians. Our solution was to go down to the beach every day and ou should always eat out, if only because there are so many lovely restaurants to choose from.

You will love Goa - try not too let any hotel spoil it.

Candybabe

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

Even if it is not feasable to ammend your hol ìf you manage to get your travel agent USING THEIR PROFFESSIONAL EXPERTISE to advise you in writing that every thing is or will be hunky dory thats may be a big help if things arnt correct or correctable and you wish to complain.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

As a previous poster said.Don't worry.As long as the rooms/bedding/and towels are clean and you have hot water what more do you want.You won't be living there.Its somewhere to Shower/Change your clothes and sleep.

There are absolutely loads of eating places.shacks and places to visit each day.More than you will have time to see.

A couple of local taxis booked for the day could take you all together on sight seeing trips.Far cheaper than booking from the reps.Or catch a local bus to Mapsa or Panji.they run from Candolim.There are enough of you to mob the locals instead of them mobbing you to get on.

midlands
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
6. Re: Alor Grande

Thanks for all the advice. I have contacted thomas cook to ensure the place is clean.

I have travelled far and wide and have stayed in very basic accomodation in the past but i do expect cleanliness to be included in basic,

If the write up's on here are to be believed(which i'm sure they are) then filthy,disgusting, broken glass being boarded up with cardboard and a padlock on the outside of your room as a lock even by my standards surely cannot be classed as basic....can it!!

Will await thomas cooks response.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

Boarded up windows,broken glass I agree with you arn't acceptable,but the padlock and heavy duty bolt on the outside of the room doors is quite often the norm here in Charter Hotels.One reason is that over here they tend to make locks where one key fits all.The only way of ensuring security is to bring your own European lock.The problem being having the room cleaned if you arn't there.

When the wife and I were holidaying in Goa we carriedy a portable PIR/Alarm and placed it inside the wardrobe.If the door is opened off it goes.Has had the desired effect a couple of times as room doors are generally left open whilst cleaning is in progress if the occuppier is not present.

midlands
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
8. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

Just to update any fellow travellers to the query regarding this hotel.

I have spoke to thomas cook and my concerns have been passed on to the quality assurance dept. They have said that this hotel is currently being refurbished as it does not open until the end of Oct.

Their reps are going out to start the season next week and they will be going to check on the hotel and get back to me.

Sounds a bit more hopefull....i think!

Essex
Level Contributor
304 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Alor Grande

I hate to dampen enthusiasm over the "refurbishment" but this is what they said last year! The refurbishment consisted of a lovely new reception (so that first impressions are good) and some upgrading of the pool.

We had one of the back rooms (you don't see the room blocks when you first get there) and quite frankly they are diabolical. We put up with it because we stayed the year before and knew what to expect (but had hoped the refurbishment meant the rooms!) - it did not. Unless you get one around the pool there is no view - just other room blocks. The only solution is to stay out of the hotel as much as possible and go down to the beach.

I have stayed in other basic hotels in Goa and the Alor Grande in Candolim is definitely the worst. It looks far better in the holiday brochures than it actually is.

Candybabe

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Alor Grande

Hi,

So there you are Al. Obviously you need to get Thomas Cook to define REFURBISHMENT for you.

This is a country that talks the talk but rarely walks the walk.Very little can be taken at face value and if windows look out onto walls that can't be refurbished.

No matter what is said here if you don't see it yourself keep an open mind .10 minutes tends to be hours or the other favourite of "Fourteen days Sir" can mean anything.

The River Princess,(now a landmark) was going to be removed in Fourteen days and that was 5 years ago.