We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid cards

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Prepaid cards

Has anyone used Thomas Cook prepaid cards for their holiday in Goa i know therea other cards i can use but ive booked with Thomas Cook so i might as well use their prepaid card

11 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Prepaid cards

You won't get such a good rate with Thomas Cook cards!

Middleton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Prepaid cards

Hi Michael I have a Caxton card and I am putting money on it every month for my spends in January .you load it from your UK bank account in sterling and then it's converted into rupees when you go to cash machine in Goa. The card is free

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Prepaid cards

Thanks for the replies i will get one and start putting money on it

North East England...
Level Contributor
335 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Prepaid cards

I use a Revolut card which is a card you load from your nominated bank account. Very easy ie instant transfer using Wifi. I wouldn't add more money to it than you need to simply for security reasons ie theft etc. You can use as you would a credit/debit card, the exchange rate used is very competitive. Use in in the same manner to withdraw cash at an ATM. Revolut make no charge for using the card but the bank in India may.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Prepaid cards

I have a Revolut card, a Monzo card and a Caxton card. On each I can withdraw £200 a month without penalties/charges, which is what I do. You can also use all/any of them to pay for goods in shops/restaurants. I'm not sure about Monzo and Caxton, but Revolut gives you the bank rate on the day you use it.

Middleton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Prepaid cards

Hi Caxton do the same give you the rate on withdrawal.

Also if you lose your card or it gets stolen you can cancel it immediately on the app.

Didn't know about the £200 per month allowance so will check that out.

Middleton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Prepaid cards

Hi I have just rang Caxton and the daily withdrawal limit is £300 per 24 hours so if needed you can draw 300 per day so long as you have funds available.

As said in previous although Caxton do not charge for withdrawals some banks do .

Hope this is useful.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Prepaid cards

Margaret F, you can withdraw more on Revolut as well, but after the first £200 in a month, you get charged something like 2%.

Middleton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Prepaid cards

I asked about that as well and there is no extra charge with Caxton.

london
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Prepaid cards

i have the same cards as LondonGoa-girl.

highly recommend and only use revolut card on all my travels,works in various countries i go to

the best for purchases and the best exchange rates as live per city.exchange rates..have given up on caxton and monzo as limited to what you can do.

however revolut limits to £ 200 per month atm withdrawel without charge(local bank could charge their internal fees)otherwise its a very small % but still better than the other prepaid cards

thumbs up for revolut

Reply to: Prepaid cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted