We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local SIM card

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Local SIM card

Can I purchase a local mobile SIM at Goa or Mumbai airport? I need something during my 2 week stay in India. So should be usable in other cities also.

13 replies to this topic
Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local SIM card

You can purchase a local SIM at Goa or Mumbai airport, but better to buy from a shop or store near your hotel. There are some reports of overcharging at the airport and SIM being not activated. There is no competitor at the airport, so they ask 2-3 times more than the actual cost and if the SIM is not activated, you cannot go there again to complain, so I think it is better to buy from a store or shop in the city. There is so much competition in telecom sector in India and all companies are offering free roaming all over India, so the SIM will work in whole India.

Please write for any other help, suggestion or questions.

Raj,

Train Ticket Please

Level Contributor
2,062 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local SIM card

You need a photography passport size, photocopy of your passport plus visa and the address your staying at.

Takes on average a couple of days to get connected.

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local SIM card

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local SIM card

Just to expand on that last post. Your copy of passport has to be on A3 paper as does your copy of your visa. Your passport you can copy before you leave but your visa copy has to have your entry stamp on it. So, you have to get that copied In Goa after you have entered the country.

BOB.....

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local SIM card

Oh dear. A3 really? That's huge. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local SIM card

Sorry, That should read A4. Duh.

BOB.....

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local SIM card

Got it. Thanks.

Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local SIM card

we always get ours from one of the shops/booths in Calangute front street they always have them pre-registered i think last year i paid 1000r for the sim and it included 1gb of surfing a day and 200r credit. and no passports or photos were required,in fact i have never needed a passport or photo to get a sim

Edited: 23 July 2018, 18:59
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local SIM card

This is useful to know. Thank you.

Level Contributor
2,062 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local SIM card

If you want a legally valid SIM then you need to do the paperwork, what Judith describes is illegal and should the pre registered card in someone else's name have been used in crime, you might be answering some police questions if the SIM is being tracked, although this is unlikely why risk it to avoid some paperwork.

Reply to: Local SIM card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted