We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasses(spectacles)

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Glasses(spectacles)

We are heading to North Goa for a month in November. Can anyone tell me of a good optician and approx how much a pair of varifocals will cost me and also a pair of prescription single vision sunglasses. I will have had my test in the UK.

Cheers

11 replies to this topic
Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

Dangui in Calangute is the one we use.

I had varifocul lenses fitted to m frames for Rs1400

Edited: 18 July 2018, 18:09
Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

Dangui have a small shop in Calangute near Johnny the Chemist also a bigger shop in Mapusa Market , prescription single vision sunglasses from £25 not sure about vari focal but think they cost similar to bi-focal and my last bi focal with photochromic self tinting lens cost just under £50 so never bother with sun glasses now however tourist shops charge two or three times more

Level Contributor
2,523 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

I use Romano optics, further along the same street, however have used the other one mentioned in emergencies

At romano i Recently got new lenses just for reading, cost 1100 rupees, frame was still in good order.

Last year wife got single prescription lenses and good designer named frame for 4,000 total.

I got variable focal lenses, with reflex lenses and standard frame cost 2900 rupees.

They have a larger selection of frames than the other shop mentioned, but the service in both is good, both normally supply lenses from eye test to deliver in five working days. Both have the lenses made in mapasa workshop, so they can be collected there if you inform them.

rastrick
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

A lot of people swear by DAngui in Calangute, but i bought a pair of varifocals in march for £45 from Vision Care its on the main road between st antonys chapel an d candolim.You can choose any frame,they do have more expensive ones, but mine are great foxr what i paid.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

When I used to go to North Goa I used Romano's. Always had good quality specs and good service.

BOB.....

North Wales
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

Anywhere in South Goa we can go for bi-focal/varifocal and for reading glasses only please. All recommendations seem to be for North Goa and we don't really want to travel up North on our next visit. Thank you.

Strahan, Australia
2 posts
7. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

I have had several pairs over the years from romanos and when ever I have had a eye test in the uk they have all remarked how good the quality was and where did I get them from

Edited: 19 July 2018, 19:53
Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

We stay in Agonda, South Goa. We normally go to The town of Margao a couple of times. I get my specs at "Metro Opticians" there. We normally get a taxi to there.

BOB.....

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,184 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

HippyOap I've found the opticians in the South to be so much more expensive. Last time I asked in Margao they wanted much more than what I payed for designer glasses I bought in the uk. I now travel to the north to Dangui in Calangute. :-)) Gel

North Wales
Level Contributor
220 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Glasses(spectacles)

Thanks Gel, may go up North then, we did go to Margao our first year in Goa and thought they sounded very dear but didn't get around to getting any. Hopefully see you in Goa!!

Reply to: Glasses(spectacles)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted