We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Sharm El Sheik like?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
What is Sharm El Sheik like?

Hi

I'm looking for a relaxing week in the sun in October with my husband, no children. We are looking for peace and relaxation, is this the place for us?

We don't want huge hotel complexes but don't necessarily want small hotels.

We don't mind touristy shops but want to see Egypt - is this place Blackpool in the sun?

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: What is Sharm El Sheik like?

Hi, I would definately recommend sharm for a relaxing couple's holiday. There is a variety of different sized hotels across the region at an affordable rate, we have loved it both times we've been. October is a good time of year to go too as it is not too hot but still warm in the evenings, and there is always little chance of rain or bad weather.

The shopping is brilliant, no matter what you are looking for there will be something to suit you and there are old markets on sometimes too. Be prepared to be 'hassled' although we didn't find it too bad last time we were there.

definately worth a visit, we're going back on the 15th for 2weeks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
21,016 posts
184 reviews
2. Re: What is Sharm El Sheik like?

Hi,

Read about the various parts here & pick up general advice. There are resort maps as well:

Link to the Tips & General Advice “Sticky” thread at the top of the forum (with a little orange pin icon at its side), above all other topics. The thread is now in alphabetical subject order for clarity.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k3…

Please also see the Top Questions on Sharm El Sheikh, down the right side of the main forum page, written in blue & the other listings, on the left side of the main page, in green.

Photos of various areas of Sharm:

Na’ama Bay

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Old Market, Hadaba / Ras Um Sid area.

New complex, Soho Square, White Knight’s Bay, Sharm (near the Savoy hotel & airport)

Fellow poster nwbs’s slide show of the Ice Bar in Soho Square.

A few night time pics of Nabq (apologies for some not being great; hadn’t quite mastered all the camera settings!)

Regards

Regards

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
490 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: What is Sharm El Sheik like?

If you want to see the real Egypt then you may be a little disappointed. There are still things to do though like snorkelling and quad bking in the mountains which my husband and i really enjoyed. There are lots of shops to visit in Naama Bay although you will get hassled a fair bit by the shop keepers - i personally could not be doing with it but you may be more tolerant than me! LOL

We stayed on the edge of Naama Bay and still found it very busy and too "touristy", there are quite a few hotels which are in peaceful areas - however this was a about 3 years ago - with all the political issues in the last few months i heard Sharm has really suffered and its very quiet on the tourist front so it may be the ideal time to go.

Scotland
Level Contributor
624 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: What is Sharm El Sheik like?

Consider Dahab.

5. Re: What is Sharm El Sheik like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 19:46
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh