We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temperature at the end of March

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Water Temperature at the end of March

Hi,

I know that the charts note the water temperature is around 20 deg + at this time of year but I have no experience of what that feels like. Would this be warm enough to swim in comfortably or will it be a tad chilly.

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
643 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

I usually go in March and the sea is a little on the cool side compared to later in the year. I am ok for about 30-40 mins, but get cold if I stay in any longer. Because I like to snorkel for ages I have a shortie wetsuit (only 4mm) and find this has made all the difference and i can now stay in for 2 hours and am fine in March.

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Thanks for the response. This is what I was concerned about as great snorkeling could be hindered by chilly water.

England
Level Contributor
643 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Certainly worth getting a shortie wetsuit it makes all the difference when snorkeling and also offers some protection against jelly fish etc.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
470 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Jellyfish?

How many things can kill me at the end of that pier? haha

I think i'll hire a waterproof suit of armour to have a snorkel in.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

When I went mid March last year the water temp was 23 degrees. I managed to dive without a wetsuit...bit chilly at first but once I was moving around it was fine.

You can also get 1mm skin suits which are comfy but offer a little more warmth/protection!

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Can wet suits be rented when out there?

Thanks

Cumbria
Level Contributor
308 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

probably but do you really want to wear something someone else has pee'd in??? lol

England
Level Contributor
643 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Wetsuit rental is about £5 per day (yes peed in) and the choice, fit and condition may be poor. If you shop carefully you can probably pick up a light-weight shortie for under £50 and you will get many years use. The dive exhibitions are worth a visit.

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

Point taken with regards to people pre warming the wet suits with pee....We will buy our own.

Thanks

Cumbria
Level Contributor
308 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Water Temperature at the end of March

dont blame you! lol

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh